All Else Pales

2»

Comments

• We have such negative experiences with employees all the time. What a great moment for you! Thanks for letting us share and reminding us why we do what we do. Please keep us posted on what happens with Will. We all want to know.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Makes me want to take a drive down to Mississippi the day Will's restaurant opens!!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Don D, I got goose bumps when I read the update.
  • I got goosebumps and tears. This HR thing can be so hard some times. We always seem to be in the middle. In the end it is a very rewarding profession though.

Don, thank you for sharing with us (reminding us) that we can make a big difference in other people's lives, especially during the most difficult times.

I'd like to share my "heart warming" story. When working in New Hampshire I worked with an older gentleman that needed eye surgery ... if he didn't get it he wouldn't be able to pass his driving test. His profession was "driver", so this was very important to him and to fail the test would not only make him jobless, but also homeless as he lived on-site. He was having difficulty getting his appointments in order, so I took all of the phone numbers and set up everything for him. He had been getting so aggitated and upset...I handed him his schedule -- there was such relief on his face (that smile!). When he got back to work he sent me a huge flower arrangement to thank me for my help.

We really do make a difference. Keep up the good work everyone! Tammy Jo
  • Aaaahhhh - a rare PLATINUM lining.

Earlier in this thread I chimed in about closing our plant and trying to offer compassionate outsource assistance to our folks. Well, in the course of this process, I hold many many exit interviews, at the end of which I wish the departing souls peace and good luck in all their future endeavors.

Fast forward... Today I heard one guy left his exit meeting, stopped on the way home and bought a $10 scratch ticket....BABOOM, instant millionaire! Heck of a good guy, too.

Yeehaaw, I feel just a little bit better.....

• Where are you located? I am somewhat surprised that I did not notice any offers of a job (or maybe I did not read far enough). I am in Dallas.
    Jerry
  • Hey Don,

Thanks for sharing Will with all of us. A very refreshing twist on a difficutlt part of our job. I have been very fortunate (thus far) never had to deal with job reductions but it must be THE hardest part of personnel. If I should ever have to deal with RIF you have taught me so much and I for that, I Thank You. Keep us posted on Will as are all very interested.