How to evacuate people with limited walking in an emergency??!?

We have an employee who is developing serious and chronic health problems and while we are supporting her in her work and in time off to help her get the care she needs, there is one issue where I have no experience.
The woman is extremely overweight, by a couple hundred pounds I'd say, and her new health problems include a leg infection that impedes her movement, and another that requires her to carry a portable oxygen tank. During our last fire drill I had to insist she go -- she was was just going to sit it out because she didn't feel she could make the steps. It made me realize we are woefully unprepared to provide for her evacuation in a fire or other building emergency should her condition worsen, should she become wheelchair bound, etc.
I imagine there are resources that can help me think about how to operational this. Anybody have any suggestions? Does anyone have wrritten policies or procedures about evacuating folks who require assistance?

Carol

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There are special emergency evacuation wheelchairs. I only know of one manufacturer: [url]www.evac-chair.com[/url]. I think at least one of these chairs was used at the World Trade Center--the company bought them after the 1993 bombing when one of their employees had to be carried out.

Some office buildings have a “safe room” that is supposedly fire/smoke proof for a given period of time, and in which persons with a mobility impairment are supposed to wait until help arrives. Many persons with disabilities do not feel safe waiting in a “safe room” and would prefer other arrangements.

The magazine “New Mobility”([url]www.newmobility.com[/url]) has a message board where this has been discussed. Some of the people there have some very good ideas in terms of evacuating persons with disabilities. You might also try contacting a rehab hospital if there is one near you. They will have evacuation plans in place and can assist you in locating equipment.

My company doesn't have an official policy (35 person company in a one-story building with fire exits about every twenty feet), so I can't help you there, but I'm sure others here will be able to.

Cammy

• An additional suggestion: Consult firefighters at the station nearest your workplace for advice. At minimum, they should be aware that there is a special needs person on your premises in case of a real fire.

• Yes, fire department should be a big help. Keep in mind however, that they will also point out fire hazards and expect you to correct them.
  • Thanks for your helpful answers. I will look at the web site mentioned and may contact the fire station a block away.

• I saw in our Employment Law Letters that the EEOC has a fact sheet about evacuating disabled ees. Go to [url]www.eeoc.gov[/url]. If you're a newsletter subscriber, you can search our newsletter archives for the word evacuation. Also, OSHA says it will issue guidance on evacuations soon.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers