Sick Time

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-26-03 AT 02:14PM (CST)[/font][p]Hi All,

We are contemplating changing our paid sick pay policy. Right now we have "unlimted" sick time as long as you bring in a doctor's note. After 5 unexcused absenses (no note) we start progressive discipline with termination after 12 unexcused days. In addition, if an employee is consistently in the "double digits" with sick time usage, we start to consider performance as an issue.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do you have a set number of sick days? If Yes - how many?
2) Do you have a "magic number" that triggers the performance issue
3) Do you include "family" sick or pay sick time just for the employee
4) Do you accrue sick time and pay out sick days at the end of the year?
5) How do you handle it when an employee exhausts all their sick time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LFernandes

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ) Do you have a set number of sick days?
    -Yes
    2) Do you have a "magic number" that triggers the performance issue?
    -No
    3) Do you include "family" sick or pay sick time just for the employee.
    -They are counted the same, you can take off for family, but there is no "reserve" for that.
    -No
    5) How do you handle it when an employee exhausts all their sick.
    -Case by case
  • Thanks for your response. What is the number of sick days that you allot to your employees?
  • We have a NO FAULT attendance policy. 4 absences or tardies in a rolling six month period starts disciplinary action. 3 consecutive days for the same illness with 3rd party verification counts as one incident. Sounds like you have been super liberal with your sick leave. Any openings???
  • I think that we are VERY generous with our sick policy almost to a fault because in the last rolling 12 month period we paid out over 400 days of sick pay and we only have about 90 employees.

We don't have any openings right now but I'll keep you posted x:-)
  • Lfernandes:
    1) Our computer program calculates up to 48 hours of sick time after i year of services. Unused time is paid out on the 1st of December, it acts like a Christmas club account if they are not sick.
    2) We use "habitual" as the terminology as to when we start discipline program. In the probationary/Introductory/training first 60 days we use 1, 2, & 3 you are out. HR get me some one else.
    3) Yes, we will allow a permanent employee the right to use the sick time of self or family; unless we are told otherwise we expect to receive a sick excuse on someone in the family.
    4) No, we pay it out! a new set of up to 48 hours is automatically set in their computer personal page.
    5) Terminate or personal time off (PTO) for up to 6 weeks, if medical coverage premium payment is required the employee must pay the premium, if after 6 weeks they are not back the insurance is dropped and the employee terminated. All of couse, if approved by the Chain of Authority. We put it in writing and act on the date set for return, no return--employee is terminated and COBRA is offered!

Hope this helps. Pork
  • Hello,
    We have a pretty lenient attendance policy as well. I have pasted my answers to your questions below. We are in the Credit Union Industry if this helps.

1) Do you have a set number of sick days? If Yes - how many? Yes. Employees are allowed 12 ocurrances for the calendar year. An occurrance is any time they miss work due to sickness. If they have the flu and are out for 4 days, that counts as one occurrance, but they have to have a doctor's note for any time missed that is three days or more. If they miss five or more days, they have to have a doctor's release to come back to work.
    2) Do you have a "magic number" that triggers the performance issue? No magic number, but we monitor employee's sick leave closely and when we have employees who look to be abusing the policy (leave on Mondays and Fridays alot, double digit leave, etc.) they are verbally warned and the discipline process begins.
    3) Do you include "family" sick or pay sick time just for the employee? It includes both.
    4) Do you accrue sick time and pay out sick days at the end of the year? No, you cannot carry it over from year to year and we don't pay out. New employees have to wait until their three month trial period is over to get sick days, then we give them the acrued three.
    5) How do you handle it when an employee exhausts all their sick time? They are verbally warned and our discipline guidlines follow the absenteeism policy.
  • ) Do you have a set number of sick days? If Yes - how many?
    15 per year

2) Do you have a "magic number" that triggers the performance issue
    No, we look at occurrences for signs of abuse and institute discipline as necessary.

3) Do you include "family" sick or pay sick time just for the employee
    Accumulated time may be used for self or family illness.

We accrue time up to 120 days and don't pay anything out.

5) How do you handle it when an employee exhausts all their sick time.
    Depends. Eligible employees may be given time from the sick leave pool, use vacation or personal time or take unpaid time off. The extent of the unpaid leave will be looked at case by case. This has only happened once in the seven years I have been here and it ended nicely with a voluntary retirement.