I-9s documents for prison workers

One of our franchises has hired inmates from a work release program. They are filling out new hire paperwork for all of these people and they have hit a snag with the I-9s. The only ID these workers have are their prison picture IDs, no social security cards or birth certificates or licenses. What documents can we accept to verify these people are eligible to work in the US?

I have called the INS but I had to leave a message and figured that you guys would have the answer before they called me back! lol

Thank you for any help.

Johnette
[link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|Spread your HR wisdom, e-mail me!]

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why would they not have birth certificates and other forms of ID? I'll bet if you telephone your connection in charge of the work release program and you advise that there's a problem, they will come up with ID for those inmates. Depending on the capabilities of the prison print shop, you will see some rather creative IDs surface. I can tell you.
  • Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you're hiring them from a work release program, doesn't the servicing agency act as the employer and you're merely paying the servicing agency? If that's the case the relationship is the same as with a temporary staffing service and you wouldn't be required to do any of the employment verification. Or am I off the mark here?

• I'll be honest with you, we have never dealt with this before and the new franchise is in Alabama (corporate is in Louisiana) so the owners have been doing things on their own.

I finally got in touch with my contact over there and she said that she was told the restaurant should fax over a request for information to use on the I9 and the DOC will send some sort of document which can be placed in column C. So it looks as if we have something but I am going to have to do a little more research to find out for sure. Thank you!

Johnette
    [link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|Spread your HR wisdom, e-mail me!]
  • remember that the documents presented must be originals - your Alabama office should NOT accept faxed or copied documents to satisfy I-9 requirements. (the only acceptable "copy" is a certified copy of a birth certificate)
  • I don't know about other states, but in this one, the Employmen Security Commission (local employment/labor/job service office) does a great many I-9s and has for the entire history of the I-9 program. This is a service to employers. Maybe you could angle this so the prison system got those documents completed by that office and you would receive the I-9 from them and would not have to deal with the documents at all. This may not be a solution at all, but may be worth a thought.