Confederate Flags

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-18-03 AT 08:56AM (CST)[/font][p]Any thoughts on one employee's right to display a small confederate flag, in the corner of their work space and another employee's right to feel free from racial harassment? Thank you.

Thank you for your responses. To those that wonder what happened to Iwonder, I am very appreciative of all the responses. I had originally done some legal research on the topic and found a lot of interesting caselaw, going both ways of course. This was my first posting on the web site, and your frankness in the responses has served me well. In my capacity as an HR advisor, I am even more confident,that my advice to the HR professionals will be well supported (due in large part to all of your input) and allow for them to make their best business decision.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Comments

• 76 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I never consider the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol. It is displayed at Six Flags and no one objects, it is history.
  • I would suggest that you're ok -- until an employee complains. Just like any form of harassment, what is offensive to one is not to another. Or, as our attorney put it, "Intent is meaningless; perception is reality." If anyone complains, I would make the employee lose the flag post haste.
  • Company Policy....Company Policy....Company Policy read it and act, accordingly.
    Now unless the rebel flag is in my department I believe I would refer the issue to your counterpart manager. Do not get into the middle of a "cat fight" unless you are prepared to be there! Given it is in my department and there is not a counter racial issue coming from someone, directly involved, I would not allow the rebel flag to be displayed in an open bay, but if it is in a private office with no public viewing, I would be hard pressed to tell an employee of my department not to display the rebel flag.

One of my truck driver displays a rebel flag on his grill every winter and every winter we have to go through the process of getting it replaced with another less offensive winter shield. We do not want the public mad at us, we got enough public meaness without adding fuel to the fire. When the driver starts to driving his own tractor, as a contract hauler, then he can display the rebel flag, but until then it does not go on our tractors.

Texas, like Mississippi businesses, must be sensitive to the feelings of all employees. Racial issues, like violent issues, like harrassment issues must all be handled. We HRs can not turn away from the issues when it is brought to our attention. If you see any of these beginning to unfold, then get the managers together and inform them of the company policy and how it is to be handled. Good luck, Pork
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-06-03 AT 04:34PM (CST)[/font][p]Let me go ahead and jump right in the middle of this one. There is not a court in the land that would rule that the display of a flag is racial harassment. The ACLU has taken up the gauntlet in support of school children who were banned from wearing shirts with such symbols. Those school policies are now reversed. Being the dangerous fool that I am, let me reverse it and ask you to consider that the displayer of the flag may well be offended by the display of such symbols as a framed certificate from the NAACP, or a Star of David worn around some co-worker's neck. Everything we do offends somebody. You've got more than a few Civil War Reenactors on this Forum. They would be offended to hear that someone might view that as racial harassment. I'm a Christian but have one shelf dedicated to ivory and jade buddhas and the like that international salesmen have brought me from overseas trips. Might I be offending another Christian? I don't know the answer to that. So, I stand here at the end of the gang plank.....waiting for the shove.

EDIT: Now noticing that the question came from the State of Texas, let me provide a bit of history. The current flag of the State of Texas, partially bearing a single white star on a blue field, originated in 1861, following the Ordinance of Secession. At that time, a large blue flag bearing a single white star was adopted as "The Bonnie Blue Flag". A song by that name became the second most popular patriotic song in the Confederacy. The first use of this flag was in 1810 in the Spanish province of West Florida consisting of portions of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. This flag later became The Flag of The Confederacy, some time before the adoption of the Confederate Battle Flag, loosely referred to as the Confederate Flag and innacurately referred to as The Rebel Flag. This same flag became the Flag of the Republic of Texas in 1837. This was also The Civil Ensign of Texas in 1840. The current flag of The State of Texas contains this same Flag of The Confederacy. At the risk of offending Texas, which I certainly do not want to do, I would suggest that before you adopt negative notions of historical flags or symbols, you might do a bit of proper homework.
  • I don't doubt for a moment that what you say is what you believe, and I'm sure my post will receive about as much due consideration as any post by a Yankee, but I stand by my position: I submit that while it may not be offensive to the vast majority, the moment one (and I mean ONE) person complains that they find it offensive and a reminder of the bad old days of slavery, you are much better off removing the "offensive" article than explaining to the EEOC why you didn't.

Unfortunately, the lawyers have taught us a new mantra and it's absolutely true: "Intent is meaningless. Perception is reality." And we are the worse off for it.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-07-03 AT 07:30AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-07-03 AT 07:29 AM (CST)[/font]

In this neck of the woods, this topic can get hotter than whether to go to war or not. While Don notes school cases have been reversed, there has been (recently) another local high school that has banned the wearing of clothing with the confederate flag on it. A lot of the debate seems to focus around what parabeagle notes as intent. Those who defend, note their heritage and ancestors who fought for the south, that it has less to do with race than politics, states rights etc. The perception, of course, is racism. In a perfect world it might be fine, but around here there are still a lot of very strong emotions/feelings. To me, parabeagle's quote at the end says it all, right or wrong.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-07-03 AT 07:25AM (CST)[/font][p]The fact is that there are certain symbols that stand out as offensive. As a Yankee, I can understand why the confederate flag is one of them. The wearing of a cross or Star of David is not meant to be offensive. The Buddha collection is not meant to be offensive. But symbols, such as the confederate flag and the swastika are HISTORICALLY offensive to some people. To argue that we there is a long history to the Texas State flag, only states what was. It does not state the current reality. I believe that HR is responsible for making sure that a company is sensitive to the feelings of all their employees. Allowing the confederate flag indicates a feeling of insensitivity as company policy. I am sure the lawyers would have a field day with this.
  • As an HR Manager, I'ld have a discussion with this employee in the privacy of my office. Remember, my job is to take care of the company and its human resources (all of them).

To allow the display of a confederate flag on a company desk (even in a private office) brands an organization as an insensitive backwards looking company. And I would do the same if an employee displayed similarly offensive materials, such as Black Power posters, or Japanese bashing quotes.

If this person wants to display the confederate flag on their home desk -- I will defend their right to do so -- but I would not want to visit.

• Dasher and Whatever,

Thanks for your comments on this subject. I was starting to think I was the only one who felt as you do. It IS a sign of racism. I'm surprised more people don't see it that way. I live in Washington state and there is no way in heck that you would see one of these flags, and I'm glad of that.
  • Bottom line -- There is no right to display a conferate flag. Being a "confederate" or rebel or whatever is one of the few things that is NOT a protected classification.

Good Luck!!
  • Not to prolong this debate, which ought to go away; being a lawyer, would you care to comment on freedom of speech as it relates to demonstrations, clothing slogans, burning a flag, symbols displayed and gestures that aren't obscene? This thread has gone way too far with people screaming that to display a symbol is racist, when a symbol cannot be racist, only the thoughts in the head of the displayer. When we begin the dangerous process of banishing people and things based on our personal assumptions as to what's inside their heads, we are off on a slippery slope. If I were confronted by something in a co-workers cubicle that tended to threaten, harass or intimidate me, I think I might go have a seat beside her/him and ask them quietly and politely to let's talk about the item and tell me what it means to you and your beliefs about it. Then, perhaps I would have a clue as to how to assess the attitude, intention and opinions of the co-worker. For me to knee-jerk react, when I could establish a meaningful dialog, would be irresponsible of me. By the way, commenting on another thread, Confederate Memorial Day and Martin Luther King Holidays are on the same day in this and several other states. Nothing racist, so please don't go there. The former has been a state holiday for some 35 years or so.
  • Unless you are a governmental (public) employer, there is NO freedom of speech issue. Freedom of speech only protects you from the government interferring with your right to speak. An employer can interfere at will . . . unless the speech is based on a legally protected category (like speaking out against racial discrimination and harassment in the workplace or raising a wage an hour claim or OSHA violations, etc.).

If the employee works for the government, they have a first amendment right, which covers speaking out on issues of public concern and interest.

Good Luck!
  • Dasher - I am glad to hear you say that you would also ban other items that might be considered "offensive" other than the Confederate flag. Being from the South...some consider this symbol racist...some do not...it is their personal perception of history and their right to view it from that perspective. I think it has BECOME a racist issue moreso than starting out that way. Personally, I would like to see more people focus on the future and solving issues that are confronting us instead of spending time, energy, money on past and either real or perceived injustices. You can't change what has gone before, but you can try to make the future world a better place to live in.

• Being from the North, (the winners, sorry Don) but having lived in the South, and having a degree in history, I can appreciate both sides of this debate. However, I would like to make one small observation that the Confederate battleflag did not make its appearance on State flags until the civil rights movement started in the 1950's. A reasonable person might therefore assume that the Confederate flag was, in fact, chosen as a symbol by white people to send a message to blacks. I don't see how we can now say that the Confederate flag has no meaning, and can be hung, or posted anywhere, as if it were mouse ears from Disney World. I can assure you that the flag had a great deal of meaning to the brave men and boys who fought under it. I don't think that they would see their battleflag as being without meaning. That's the reason it should stay out of the workplace.
  • WOW!!! The confederate flag is flown at six flags, that is surely justification for having the flag in the work place. I also can't believe that we are still fighting the flag issue. IT IS RACISM PURE AND SIMPLE. If the flag is ok at work, next I'll be hearing that HR has approved an employees bringing a picture of an AA hanging from a tree. Because after all, as several people responded its all about how someone perceives what they see.
  • I assume you are conducting business at your facility. Why would there be any question about allowing something in the workplace that may be perceived as offensive, and most certainly has nothing to do with the conduct of your business (unless you're in the flag-making business). My job as a manager is to head off problems before they occur. I wouldn't wait for someone to complain, or be offended by this symbol -- and a flag, any flag, most certainly is a symbol. I think you realize this will be a problem, that's why you raised the question. Listen to your instincts and nix the flag.
  • I may live in the midwest but I have deep roots in the south and I must agree that using the ee's right to free speech the flag should stay, especially if it's in the corner of a cubicle. They are not displaying it for the entire office just for them. I agree with the comment of where do we draw the line..My uncle was killed in WWII by the Japanese so does that mean that I should be offended by the Japanese flag? Just another thought on the subject.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-03 AT 01:15PM (CST)[/font][p]Vowed not to enter again, but my parents were at Pearl Harbor and obviously lost many friends. My mother would readily admit to carrying some predjudice towards the Japanese for many years and I have no doubt that but that the Japanese flag offended her for probably 50 years. Am not commenting as to whether she was right or wrong..just another thought regarding what some people PERCEIVE symbols to represent.
  • That's exactly it. It's not the intent, it's the perception. Even though my heritage (allegedly) hails from generations-ago IRA soldiers, I would never think to display an IRA flag in my office (especially if the office happened to be located at 10 Downing Street). Although protected, political sensitivities are no less volatile than any others based on some protected-class status.
  • My ancestors fought in the Texas Revolution. We have employees in our office who display the Mexican flag on their desks and note pads. My perception COULD be that it intimidates me (after all, we won.) If I take that perception to HR, should they ask the employees (Sr. Mgrs.) to remove them? Just curious if the door swings both ways.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-03 AT 02:38PM (CST)[/font][p]To all who have posted: I asked Christy some time back to delete this thread since it appears to have crossed several lines with very few people being willing to understand or tolerate the views of others, unless those views mirror their own. I would have thought Human Resources professionals, of all people, would have been a bit more tolerant of and accepting of a diversity of views. I was wrong.

It seems that with certain issues, there is no willingness to consider or be tolerant of opposing viewpoints. I am surprised and disappointed, regardless of where you are from. Some posters took care to state how far distant they lived from the South as if that matters when it comes time to accept different views. Some pretended to know history while displaying a dismal understanding of it instead.

In my dictionary, predudice means one thing...PRE-judging another or others. Taking the liberty of pre-judging someone's decisions based solely on the judger's personal viewpoint is no different today than it was in the 60s or 70s. There are membership organizations all over this country composed of kind and gentle people without a racist bone in their body who lost ancestors on both sides of that war and they have every right to peacefully assemble and celebrate or study the memories they have and hold without my judging any of the groups, regardless of their geography. Who am I to pre-judge any one of them?

Try this on for size; last month in the State of Mississippi, at Grand Gulf Military Park, on the very spot where northern gunboats and troops landed to begin their march up toward Vicksburg, Raymond and Jackson, The Sons Of Confederate Veterans began the task of shoring up and saving a rather tall hill embankment that was sliding away into a bottomless ravine leading to the Mississippi River. The organization, mostly caucasion but with a few black members, quietly took up thousands and thousands of dollars to take care of this monumental engineering task. What was at risk? The graves of three black union soldiers which were on the verge of washing away into oblivion at the ravine's bottom. These men and women carry, display and suport Confederate symbols and not for racial purposes. Their act could not have been more non-racist.

I will tell you again; behaviors and mindsets can be racist, inanimate objects cannot. One of the history experts might have mentioned the fact that roughly 7% of the population held slaves during the 1840s, 50s and 60s, while a percentage rivaling that number held slaves in northern states. All of it was wrong-headed. No one I ever knew held one. But, any person has a right to hold personal feelings and to display a symbol of his or her choice that has particular meaning to him. Unless I talk to that person about that meaning, I have no right to speculate as to the meaning. To do so would be nothing other than prejudice. Now friends, might we get back to H.R.?
  • You make some excellent points, Don, and your eloquent post is very thought-provoking. I do think, however, that to expect HR professionals to be devoid of opinion or emotion is unrealistic when you are dealing with an emotional topic. There is no logic involved in this issue, just emotion. I also think that if you wish to "blame" someone for being intolerant of the feelings of others on this issue, you should blame the Supreme Court. The advent of hostile environment sexual harassment and its subsequent application to other forms of harassment is one of the factos which led us to the oh-so-politically-correct, ultra-sensitive society in which we live now -- and which we, as HR professionals, are expected to protect and nurture.

And spirited debate over controversial issues exercises the brain -- most really good HR people I know can think around all sides of an issue and see everyone's point of view, at least in most circumstances.
  • I do think, however, that to expect HR
    >professionals to be devoid of opinion or emotion is unrealistic when
    >you are dealing with an emotional topic.

Having no desire to prolong the debate or spar with you, I must ask you to look back through the posts and point out where you think I asked anyone to 'be devoid of opinion or emotion'. I merely point out that the discussion, if one can call it that, digressed rapidly to the irrational mentioning of their own personal prejudices, not opinions. Opinions are one thing. Lashing out with cries of racism are quite another, and were misdirected and ill-conceived. Emotional reactions to topics of debate, rather than careful consideration and the stating of opinions, is probably exactly what "IWonder", the original poster intended. It is interesting that she has not posted before or since. As you certainly know, HR is not a place for emotional decisions or emotion based opinion. And never should HR be the place where emotion based accusations run rampant or where others are allowed to run them rampant, unchallenged. Rather, it is our mission to ask others to consider the existent of differing opinions and genuine motiviations that differ from one's own.

I also challenge you to report to this forum your basis for assuming that The Supremes or any other court might rule that a single act of one displaying a small symbol in their work cubicle rises to the level of hostile environment. You will not be able to do that.

Perhaps we should have stuck to NASCAR.

• Don: Just wondering who you think will win big this year in the races?

• I don't know why anyone should wish to request a thread deleted or why it should be deleted because one person does not like the direction that the thread has taken. I don't wish to spar either, but the original poster asked, "Any thoughts..." and that is exactly what people posted - their thoughts.

Elizabeth
  • As employers, we should hope no employer has to go to court over this.

Prevention is better than cure ~ a company has the right to set policies over
    whether or not a Confederate flag , whatever the size, can be displayed in the workplace.Some may , others may not.

Chari
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-12-03 AT 02:25PM (CST)[/font][p]NASCAR, SCHMASCAR. I think this thread is WAY more interesting than the standard HR stuff we normally see. And it is interesting precisely because of the emotions involved, which I believe proves the point that the Confederate flag elicits powerful images and emotions that resonate to this day, and for that reason should stay out of the work environment. What would the general consensus be if we were talking about an abortion poster in someone's office?
  • You are so right! It's all about emotions and perceptions. Our new risk dept won't even allow gifts under the 'Holiday' Tree for fear someone might be offended. It's better to err on the side of caution than to take a chance someone will perceive that you encourage a hostile work environment.
  • Good point indeed. If an abortion poster were to appear on the wall, one emotional reaction would be to violently oppose it for personal reasons. The other, equally emotional reaction, would be to salute the right to choose. Neither being inherently right or wrong, one would suppose, but both being based solely on personal opinion, and neither rising to a hostile environment or harassment level, although offensive to 50%.

You didn't define the abortion poster; but, if it were one offering the procedure or proclaiming it's innocence, I would personally disagree with it. But, as strongly as I oppose what I consider to be the taking of life (in that instance), I would not shout it down. Nor would I exclaim that the exhibitor of the poster were trying to offend me because he knows I oppose abortion and my family consists of several preachers (perhaps). I would instead engage the displayer in a conversation about the poster and ask if we could calmly express our opinions about the subject.

The flag debate did not early on contain any mention of the display eliciting images or involving emotions. The responses, with some exceptions, seemed to be that "the display is racist", "the symbol itself is racist"; therefore the displayer is a scoundrel and a racist, and that there is no room for compromise on the subject and we must remove such symbols before the constabulary pounds upon our door.

Legitimate debate and willingness to understand and accept differences of opinion are critical to any debate. And at minimum, I would walk away after having had the conversation agreeing to disagree, not pouting and shouting. Debate should not include shouting down others or crying out so loudly that you remove your ability to critically entertain differences of opinion.

Your assertion that no state flag contained a semblance of one of the (many) Confederate Battle Flags before the recorded beginning of the Civil Rights Movement, establishes no ground in your theory that such a display must therefore be racist. Nor is your historical proposal accurate. The Texas flag, as I pointed out, is just one example. If your conclusion that such state flags did not exist until after the inception of the CRM were to be true, then automatically such symbols must be racist simply because you have established a connection, one with the other, in your own mind; therefore, others should accept your theory and all should find it offensive, without regard to motive.

But back to NASCAR, and utilizing your own brand of logic; it was not until the invention of the overhead cam engine that the modern machine was able to reach and consistently maintain speeds of 188 mph; therefore it must follow that the overhead cam engine is the reason such speeds are sustainable today. Flawed logic, even if the timeline were true.

I'll wager that there were not ten people on The Forum who had a clue as to the origin of the Bonnie Blue portion of the current Texas State Flag and its connection to Civil War history, until they read it here. So, shall we now rip it apart? Shall we similarly conclude that this symbol must be racist? Or shall we exempt it from the discussion? There are a few well known people whose bank accounts are dependent on continually stirring the racial relations pot. It was not until those persons started chanting the ills of Civil War symbols that most people even gave a hoot about their display at statehouses, on car tags, on state flags and on bumper stickers.

Isn't there a car somewhere in NASCAR with clenched raised fists painted on it's doors. And if so, should we jerk our sponsorship? What about my Coors stand at the third turn at Taledega?