15 minute rule being abused

Today I was made aware by one of our supervisors that one of our part time employees is taking advantage of the 15 minute rule (if you clock in 15 minutes after the start of your scheduled start time you are considered late). This individual clocks in at 6:44 almost everyday (his start time is 6:30). When confronted, he quotes the handbook word for word to the supervisor. The ee has two written warinings since his start date of 11-27 for being late. What can I do/supervisor do to help deterr this problem????

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Personally, I would change the policy to reflect that ANYTHING after the scheduled start time is considered "late" and lose the 15 minute rule. It's a shame that other employees have to lose some flexibility because of one person, but there you are. You've obviously got one of those employees who studies policies for fun just to find loopholes (I call it "frustrated lawyer" syndrome).
  • Or add to the policy a statement like: This policy is designed to be flexible because we understand every employee has a family and there are times at home you have to take a few more minutes before you can get out the door. We do not want to punish an a good employee who is making sure their kids, or parents, are going to have a good day. However if we determine a regular pattern of abuse of this policy, we will address this as a disciplinary issue.

Now I know I was a little long winded sorry. But hey lets not make rules for the problem 1 or 2 lets figure a way to manage the problem person.

Well I know half of the people that read this probably fainted that I did not say fire the bum!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman

• "Fire the bum" was my first thought, Balloonman, but I think I'm getting soft in my old age...
  • What is this guy doing? Standing by the time clock every morning? It would be interesting to see what his response would be if you just happened to be there a few mornings?
  • It would be even funnier if the guy just stands there from 6:30 to 6:44 and then punches in! That'll show 'em! Way to get over on the company!
  • It would be even funnier yet, if you managed to somehow block his path some morning and he busted his butt trying to punch in at 6:44 but reached the clock at 6:45. I might stand by the timeclock with crossed arms and look him straight in the eye tomorrow at 6:44 and ask, "Charlie, let me ask you. Do you have any intention of ever reaching full time status here?"
  • Don, you are funny! I think that is what Riley should do.
  • I think Monday morning I will put on my Time Clock Warden hat x:=|and use Don's excellent advice. Maybe it will prove the point the supervisor has been trying to make!
  • Don...I like it. Maybe put a little mini-oil slick in front of the clock.
  • I'm curious, is it stated anywhere what the shift start and finish times are? We make it a part of our offer letter. I, or his manager, would sit down with this ee (if this ee worked for us) and let him/her know that they are not living up to our reasonable expectations as an employer that they be there at the start of their shift.

I also think 15 minutes is very liberal.

Good luck!
  • If you know where he lives you could let the air out of two of his tires that would guarentee he..........wait I guess as HR Professionals we should not do that........ no I never have really.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Our plant employees start at 6am. When the bell sounds, employees must have already clocked in and must be at their station, ready to work. If not, they receive a tardy (in the past, some employees would clock-in and loaf around in the break room for several minutes). I don't like the 15 minute policy. It sends a message that being late is acceptable.
  • We had a very similar circumstance with bargaining unit employees who have a 5 minute grace period in the morning. The CBA used to read "those employees arivivng during the grace period shall not be docked". Some staff started arriving 5 minutes late every day.

We changed the CBA to say "arriving during the grace period, although not docked, shall constitute an instance of tardiness". Now, we can deal with the big offenders and ignore those that are reasonable. The grace period is intended for snow emergencies (I'm near Cleveland and it is 12 degrees today) or other exceptions and is not intended for a modified start time for sleepy employees.

15 Minutes does sound overly generous, and that's coming from blizard country. I tell them, you have a window don't you? When you see snow, leave early.
  • Another suggestion is to change your handbook to read something like, "We expect all employees to be at work at their scheduled start time. Normally, employees, who clock in within 10-minutes after their start time due to unusual circumstatnces, will not be docked for clocking in late. However, if an employee demonstrates a pattern of clocking in after the employee's scheduled start time, the company, in its discretion, can discipline employee for being late and/or dock the employee for the time they are late."

Just a reminder that there are wage & hour implications if you allow employees to clock in too early.
  • Just curious but what is the purpose of the 15 minute rule? Why not 5 minute or 10 minute or none at all?

I think you have here a classic example of someone rising (or sinking) to the standard that you have set.

Paul
  • I have to agree with some of my other esteemed colleagues in thinking that your grace allowance seems a little lenient. I would think 5-10 minutes is sufficient and if someone is later than that, maybe take it on a case-by-case basis if they are over their limit. But knowing this guy, he will probably wait right up until the limit no matter what it is before clocking in. You will definitely need an abuse policy in place to address this issue, while being fair to those who keep the spirit of the grace allowance.
  • Esteemed colleagues? Wow.. I guess that is better than "steamed colleagues".

Paul
  • Well, now that I think about it Paul, "steamed" could be a better description!Although I bet alot of us feel like we've gotten "creamed" most days! (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)
  • Sort of like, Is Paul steamed his Raiders got creamed?. Come on back Paul, we miss you, even with all that egg on your face.
  • Your company it's extremely generous. I suggest change the whole policy. A 5-7 min grace period is acceptable. Change the wording of your policy to read something like
    "You are expected to be at work and at your work work station on time. But, for those instances were you find yourselves in a situation were due to unforseen circumstances you must arrive late, we have created a grace period of ??? minutes. Any one clocking in after the designated grace period we will deducted 15 minutes of their work day"

This is only a suggestion (you can use your own verbage) it worked for us, Boy did it help.
    Good luck.
  • I'm sure that my ee's would love to work at your company. EE's are not allowed a grace period at all. If they are 1 minute late their pay is docked and they receive a partial point (we are generous there). We are harsh even on Holidays. You must work the full shift before and after the holiday to receive pay. If any ee clocks in 1 minute late they loose the holiday pay. I know this sounds horrible, but we don't have many that loose the holiday pay.

• Just an update...

The employee was 45 minutes late on Sunday and Monday. Needless to say the ee no longer works for the company! :DD Say, anyone looking for a cowboy...
  • What a wonderful gift for you to receive, a moron problem employee gift wrapping his termination for you!!!!!!
    Where and what time is the party, cause I am there!!!! You can't be that far from me and I know it will be a great party!.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ
    ps. I will bring my balloons!