regrets?, none here!

On the other hand, opposite James' 'regrets' posting, let's hear from you about a decision(s) you made early on that you have never been sorry one minute for making - something that you decided to do that has impacted your career and, looking back, makes you smile.

I'll start off by saying the main thing I decided early on, years ago, to do or not to do, affecting my career, was that I vowed to never, ever take a job or promotion that would require a lot of overnight travel or time away from my family. In doing so, I passed up some nice promotions that would have involved anywhere from two to four nights on the road, even though they would have paid a good bit more. But, I'll never regret it because: I never missed a soccer, football, baseball, t-ball or softball game; never missed a significant ballet or gymnastics exhibition or display; always was there for violin concerts; never missed a school play; never missed a counseling meeting with the principal; never missed or was late for supper; always was able to meet carpool obligations; always got to the orthodontist on time; always either drove them to or met them at the doctor's office and, when their momma couldn't, I was able to get cupcakes, pumpkins and changes of clothes there whenever required. I can proudly say that to have done otherwise would have cheated both me and them out of 'connections' I would not want to have passed up along the way. Who says it's all about the money?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And that is why I call you "Dandy Don"!!! May you have another blessed year in 2003. Pork
  • Well, I haven't planned as well as Don, and have missed a few of those opportunities, but not very many. The best thing I'd say is that I've had a very positive attitude about my job for the 21 years I've been in my present position. I like my employer (I'd better, I'm seen as the employer by many of our staff), I've been compensated reasonably well, and had good benefits. Never wanted to take advantage of my employer, and am grateful for all the things my employment has meant for my family and me. Some of you who have read an earlier post of mine know that all of my positions in HR haven't been as good, so that makes this one so much easier to appreciate. I'd wish that each of you younger HR people could do as well.
  • That's wonderful! You really have your priorities straight. I can honestly say I love my job. There have been good times and bad during my 20+ years with the company, depending on top management. During the bad times I stuck with it because I felt the employees needed me. My current CEO ran an HR dept on his way up, so this is the best of all worlds. He knows the importance of a strong HR dept and gives me total support. I often work late, but have total flexibility in the job, so I can leave anytime during the day for those important family obligations (now with the grandchildren).

Keep up the great work, Don.
  • I thought there would be more people out there who recall something they do not regret.
  • Going back in time to when the children were in school plays, sports, etc. my boss was not understanding of such things. Women in the work force were a necessary evil. Taking time for children (sick or otherwise) was taboo. Also, to make ends meet, I had to have a second, part time job. I did not have the luxury of having supper together every night. Regrets? Not a one! We were/are a close knit family, made stronger because we really enjoyed the times when we were together. Don, thanks for the memories.
  • I have to say the scariest & ultimately best decision I ever made was when I left my high paying position with a medical clinic to go part-time with a small company about 3 miles from my home. I took a significant cut that we felt for awhile, but giving up 14-20 hour contract negotiations and 6am board meetings for my baby daughter & school-aged son (& husband of course) was the best move I ever made.
  • For me, it was giving up practicing law to return to HR. It wasn't as lucrative, but it was work I love!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Although it's not related, I truly regret Mitch Williams pitching to Joe Carter in the '93 World Series. That aside, about 5 years ago I left a well paying, demeaning, brutilizing job working for an absolute tyrant, which ultimately led to the breakup of a relationship with someone I was planning to marry, and almost a year of financial hardship. Best decision I ever made. Today I work for terrific people in a job I love, and I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world. Never give up! Never surrender!