Combining Handbooks

We have several companies under us each with their own handbook. 90% of the book is the same for them all. Does anyone see a problem with having just one Handbook that specifies the differences?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have no problem with having a general handbook for everyone, but you may need to re-think your plan to incoroporate specific differences within that general handbook for the various divisions. I suggest have a general handbook but with supplements aimed at the particular division to which they would apply. That way, employees in one division won't start comparing the differences and complaining how they get a "raw deal" in comparison to others. And it will be less confusing for the emplyee to see only one procedure or policy statement on a subject rather than all the variations that exist in the company.

• I understand what you're saying about employees grumbling. The only major difference is in the retirement plan. As a non-prof we have a different plan than our other for-prof company (sorry I don't quite understand the legalities of it all). So employees couldn't have the others plan even if they wanted to. We also don't go into a lot of detail on the plans.

I had questions on the legal issue of doing it. Since a handbook isn't required, I don't see a problem with how we would distribute ours.
  • Ted K (promise me you never drove across Chappaquidick Bridge): In my opinion, you are wise to come up with a comprehensive handbook that tries to consolidate all of the business policies in one central place. Such a handbook ultimately meets the needs of the employer as much as, if not more than, it meets the needs of he employees. And, for that reason, I suggest the broadest distribution possible among the troops. You won't (might?) believe the alarming number of companies that either want no such handbook, tightly guard such handbooks, issue them minimilly if at all, or limit their issuance to just a few 'key' people or supervisors in the company under the false assumption that "If it ain't in writing, we can do whatever we want to". I feel that all of those practices wind up shooting the employer in both feet. Your plan to come up with a good consolidated handbook will pay off for the company right away and for a long time. I find the most complicated task to be the complete update of all handbooks at revision time, being sure each handbook receives attention. Good luck with this challenge.
  • You could also consider adding a "supplemental chapter" in the handbooks of the employees who have the retirement plan provsion.
  • Thanks for your replys, (never been drunk on Chappaquidick btw). We've got a lot of old forms and old ways of doing things here but luckily the powers that be have given me the freedom to make things better (Goal #1: banish typewriter).