16 years old

One of our employees relocated her 16yrs old daughter to our state ( AZ ) The General Manager of the company called me and told me that the employee didn't feel comfortable leaving her daugther at home alone until they settle in. They also want the girl to be paid. I am not a big fan of hiring ( even temp basis) someone yourger than 18 years old. Since the girl just move here her mother didn't enroll her in school until January. I guess she will be with is for a week. What should I do? PLEASE HELP SHE IS ALREADY HERE!

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well..........family is important.........so important that I would be willing to grant leave to this employee......unpaid. Call her in, let her know you understand, but that you do not hire employees under 18, and you cannot allow her just to be hanging around at work, it is a distraction for both the employee and others.
    However I would tell her she could use vacation time if she has it, or grant her an unpaid leave, but that she cannot bring daughter in to work.
    My $0.02 worth......
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree. In addition you are setting a precedent. How do you respond to other employees when they have similar or greater needs?
  • I forgot to tell you that we drug test everyone as a condition of employment. Am I supposed to drug tester too?
  • If you decide against the common wisdom of not hiring her, why in the world would you NOT drug test her? She must go through the same signup and hire process as everybody else. This is a strange decision for the manager or president to have made in the first place. Very strange indeed.
  • Do I drug test her? Follow you typical hiring procedures, explain to the GM, the week will be up before all the background stuff comes back, really no way to hire her. Discuss the leave alternatives previously discussed. If you do it for this employee you had better be prepared to do it for others.
    You must find a way to get the GM to understand his good intentions are rather ignorant and short sighted! You might want to reword that x;-)
    There that is $0.04 worth on this topic.
    DJ
  • Why can't you just let her pitch in for the short period of time? You may find her to be a good worker and a treat to have around. My first part time job was in the office of our family friend and Doctor and I learned work ethic lessons from those Nurses that I still remember today. I was only 15 at the time and worked after school. This young lady may be very mature for her age and may actually be able to lend a hand on year end tasks. I say give her a chance and give yourself an opportunity for a new experience.
  • I understand but this becomes a policy issue and a morale issue. I already have another employee askign to bring her son to work!
  • >I understand but this becomes a policy issue and a morale issue. I
    >already have another employee askign to bring her son to work!

This type of "special circumstance" will most always get out of hand if you allow it to happen. One of the strongest points we can hang our hats on in the HR work world is consistency. Once you start making exceptions to any rule, written or implied, watch out. Good luck.
  • I just told the employee that when the GM told her yes. He was not aware fo the policy. I told her that we can not hire her daughter.
  • good for you, next step tell her that her daughter cannot "hang out" at work either and your problem is resolved. That wasn't so hard was it. If she gives you any grief, point out all the leave options you have given her. Make sure it is clear that you are trying to work with her, but she cannot just bring her daughter to work.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • It was not that easy. The Gm is in Chicago and I couldn't get him until today. Also teh employee does have a BIG attitude. Leave is not an option at this point.
    How funny her kid couldn't stay at home but today she is sick at home!