Training seminars

I'm trying to find a good training seminar for supervisors. I would appreciate any feedback on the quality of seminars offered by National Seminars Group, CareerTrack, SkillPath Seminars or others. I have heard that some of them spend too much time marketing their services, and so valuable training time is lost.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Margaret Morford's consulting firm, theHRedge, is good (she gives out chocolate).
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]

For do-it-yourselfers, our Ten Danger Zones video series is good, and it's cheaper than most other products out there (chocolate not included).
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/videos.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • I recently attended an OSHA seminar conducted by Padgett Thompson and, although I was impressed with the content and take home materials, felt like I was sitting through a Padgett Thompson commercial for about half the training day.

Also, don't neglect your state resources. Our Bureau of Labor and Industries in Oregon will conduct on-site training on any number of topics of interest to supervisors at a reasonable cost (I think they only charge $195/hr for up to 50 attendees). Perhaps DC has similar resources available.
  • Our Kentucky Chamber of Commerce conducted a FANTASTIC two-day workshop for supervisors this past November. They ALL came back with rave reviews and are in fact applying what they learned. It was expenses ($495, with no charge for the fifth person), but well worth it.

I have also implemented an annual in-house mandatory training workshop for our supervisors dealing with our specific issues, but also including updates on harassment, discrimination, progressive discipline, references, etc. An attorney who specializes in personnel law is conducted the workshop.

Good luck!
  • We are in NYC and NJ. A few of the colleges and jr.colleges in the area offer one day and two day programs that have been very helpful.
  • Our location is a few blocks from a state university. We've worked with them to offer a training session on-site once a month. It is presented by a college prof for $500 per session each lasting 2 hours. We have 48 managers at our offices so it becomes a cost effective solution for us. Once a month we then have management roundtables to discuss how they will be applying what they learned in the prior training class.

Topics we've covered in-house lead by professors from the university include:
    Dealing with Difficult People (not that any of us do but just in case :), How to do Performance Evaluations, Bringing out the Best in People, Presentation Skills. On the horizon are Ethics, Time & Meeting Management, Stress Management, Day to Day Coaching Skills and Professional Development Plans

Other good sources for information are local breakfast briefings held by attorneys in our area for either no charge or a nominal fee. The local SHRM chapter also brings in speakers at monthly meetings.