Employee's Weight

The CEO & CFO of our comany have requested that I, as the HR Director speak to our Network Administrator about his weight. The N.A. would be considered obese as he is about 6'0" and weighs between 300 & 350lbs. The executive officer's concerns come from a view that the N.A. is a very valuable asset to our company and they are looking into the future and what impact this added weight will have on his health. At this time there does not appear to be any performance issues due to his weight. The exec's are even willing to pay for pounds lost!! I have dealt with other personal hygene issues but this one makes me a little nervous.....I am not exactly miss slim myself.

I called our company's legal counsel about a month ago and they wanted to think about it and get back to me.....haven't heard anything yet....any thoughts?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow -- let's let HR become the food-police and health-monitor huh? I think if the powers-that-be want to institute a company-wide wellness program (ie pay for pounds lost or smoking cessation, etc) then that's a better plan. That type of program allows everyone to participate and can impact the bottom line by impacting health costs, lowering sick days, etc.

Who is to say why this EE is overweight? Could bring out a whole host of ADA issues you don't even want to know about.

I think the fact that you have noted there appear to be no performance issues tied to his weight is very important. CEO/CFO seem to be focusing on an issue that is, quite frankly, none of their business.

It's often said that discrimination against the overweight is one of the final remaining "things" for which it is socially acceptable to discriminate against people. I believe it is in California where they attempted to get this added as a protected class.
  • I agree with Cxjo. I just can't see this going well for you if take this line. Stick with performance.

Are you going to sit down with the secretary who downs 2 pots of coffee each day next? How about the three pack a day smoker? How about the overly skinny girl in accounting? Is she eating right?

On the other hand, if he is not able to do the job, you may want to address that. If his obesity does not prohibit a major life activity but just makes it hard for him to do his job or lethargic, is it still an ADA issue?

Paul
  • I am speaking from experience b/c I lost 65 lbs this year.

Guess what? People who are overweight know it. People who are overweight don't need to be told that they are fat or that it will have negative effects on their health. They know it.

Telling this guy you are concerned about his weight is only going to make him feel bad (at best) and at worst will make him angry.

Remember, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I am sure that the people that want you to talk to this guy really have good intentions, but they are on the road to you know where.

I suggest you leave the guy alone.

Good Luck!

• Interesting...I think our whole company is overweight. Something that a lot of employees like to do is play basketball during our afternoon break. The employees get fresh air, exercise and they stay away from the vending machines. Maybe something like that might help...
  • Why stop at the weight? I'm sure this guy would want to know about all his bad habits.(Since its for his own good you know) Heck thats why I picked this place. They constantly tell me everything that is wrong with me. I feel energized to get out of bed and come to work!!

The only suggestion I have for you is to continue to throw in "we only tell you because your a great asset to this organization" it takes the sting out and eases the pain of going home knowing that everyone is thinking about you!!! Also tell him ALOT, some people don't get it the first time and need constant reminders. :~~
  • Tell your CEO and CFO congratulations -- they managed to put this guy in a protected class. They seem to perceive this guy as disabled, so he now has ADA protection even if he isn't really disabled.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • James before me, has hit the nail on the head. Your senior leaders can't back out on what their hearts have expressed; the ee is now an ADA case and yu and the company must handle it as such. I for one support wellness programs for all who choose to participate. I also support company paid complete physical examinations and physician monitoring of all key company leaders health & positive treatment and exercise plans. I support company mandated "NO SMOKING"areas or paid for "stop smoking" plans. They work to reduce health cost! Please keep us posted on your senior leadership reactions to your formal announcement that you now have an ADA case employee and it is the "obese manager"! By the way tell him to eat more of the other white meat, we are breeding out the fat & it is oh so good!! Good luck, Pork