offbeat but effective interview questions

have some friends who own and operate restaurants...they tell me that when they interview an applicant who is applying to be a cook they go through the resume,get the applicant to commit himself to a history in the food and beverage industry,and then ask to see his arms---no one---or so they tell me---who does this work has not burned themselves and left a scar...so,my question to you all:any insider questions
as to an applicant in your industry you can share with us?...regards from texas,mike maslanka

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good question! I work in a manufacturing environment where parts are machined to very tight tolerances. When interviewing for positions in the manufacturing and quality control areas, I have several different types of measuring instruments in my office. When I ask questions about calibrations and meeting specifications, I give the applicant one of the measuring devises. I can always tell when they have the abilitity to use them by the way they handle or hold the device.
  • This sounds a bit more job related than "Show me your scars, man."
  • This brings back memories. A long time ago, when I was responsible for hiring in a manufacturing environment, I did the same thing. The pretenders were identified quickly.
  • What about bringing up the subject in a more casual manner, such as: There is a possiblity you may receive minor burns in this position. Does that create a problem for you? Then you can see what response you get.
  • Well, I work for the corporate office of a local restaurant chain and when I posed the question to our back of house general manager, he responded by putting up his own arms which are scar free. And he has been in the industry for years, the last 4 employed with us. So although I think it is an interesting question, I wouldn't put much weight in it.

As for my experience in industry specific questions, I cannot really think of any since the positions I interview require very little experience.

Johnette
    [link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|Spread your HR wisdom, e-mail me!]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-26-02 AT 11:34AM (CST)[/font][p]I'm not quite sure what scars really establish.

They may or may not be caused by an the individual being burned at work.

And is there acertain number of scars that are acceptable. Would too many scars indicate an unacceptable Workers' Comp risk?

Thus, the use of scars to identify whether or not the indivudal is a good chef or has worked as a chef can't really be probative unless something is asked about them. And of course, about the only thing to be asked is whether or not the scars were caused by cooking incidents.

But beyond that question, further questions may get into ADA issues and partuclar care has to be taken since an emplyer is prohbiited under ADA from asking a prospective employee questions that a likely to elicit information about a disability (of which the scar may be reflective) or to inquire into Workers' Comp claims.
  • I thought this was crazy, but I once saw an administrator for a social service agency that provided residential services for children challenge a prospective female child-care worker to an......arm wrestling contest. I suppose he wanted to see how physically strong she was in the event that she would ever be in a restraint-scenario with a child. She darn near beat him, by the way, and got the job.
  • I thought Mike posted this as a joke to begin with and am still not so sure. I have heard all my life the way to really hire the best carpenter for a project at your home is to get an old preacher with four fingers. First, you know (assume) he is honest. Second, you know he's had some exposure to a table saw and has learned from his mistakes.
  • I could pass this test. I have several scars on my hands that look like burns but that I received years ago when I was a young, out to save the world counselor on the back ward of a state pyschiatric hospital. Perhaps I should have been interviewed by Crout's person. Might have fared better. Never been a chef though. (well in my own mind and kitchen) !
  • One thing I like to do that is not a question but is more behavior oriented is give the applicant a nice compliment like "Those are nice looking shoes." or "Thats a great outfit".

How they take the compliment says alot. Some people look stunned. Some go ON AND ON about the outfit. Some seem emberassed. Some smile and say "Thank you."

To me it tells something about their ability to handle the unexpected, maturity, communication skills, and social graces.

Paul
  • I have shared it here before. .but a long the lines of the unexpected . I was once asked as the FIRST question of an interview, "What questions do you have for us?" It caught me off guard. .maybe only because I ask it at the end of an interview. . but I was glad I had really done my homework on the agency and had prepared several questions.
  • I heard that Bill Gates used to ask the questions: "How much artificial turf is there?" He also asked similar questions. The answer itself is not important as what you do with the question. He is looking for your ability to think. So when you answer x sq. yards, he would ask how did you get to that. By explaining how you reached it showed the ability to think, especially at a curveball question.........

I have been trained in behavior based interviewing techniques....... they are very good ways to interview, cuts through the fluff of "I am a great team player" good give me specific examples.

Dennis
  • How many of you remember the rage caused by the kinesic interview approach about 15 years ago? The theory of the relationship between body language and communication. Many of us still practice it without even being aware that we are. Watching body language such as shrugs, eye movement, posture, crossed legs, tapping fingers and other reactions and movements of our interviewees suggests to us many things about them that their linguistics don't reveal. I know a guy who years ago actually wired the interview chair to the wall so the applicant could not move it. His theory was that this put him in total control and the applicant could not wiggle around or adjust the chair or move it back or forward. The applicant could only speak orally and through body language. This guy would pull his chair right up close to the knees of the applicant, who sat paralyzed, and he would lean forward as if interrogating the applicant and the poor applicant was frozen and this guy would stare at the applicant waiting on responses and he would study every body movement and eye movement. He asked questions like, "Do you know how far the capitol of Utah is from the capitol of Montana?" and, "What is the largest amount of marijuana you have ever purchased." Talk about CURVEBALL questions! I was amazed that applicants didn't bolt out of the building screaming.
  • People I've hired at my current employer sometimes joke about the goofy questions I asked them in their interviews - I love that sort of thing. Like most of you who do it, I'm looking for poise, ability to think on their feet, and rationale.

Now, from the other side of the desk (a story I may have told here before)...

As a college student, I once applied for a job at a factory. The plant only ran during the day, but I was applying to be one of two people who came in at night and did light interoffice (and interbuilding) delivery and mail sorting.

Anyway, the owner of the plant (I think he was at least 120 years old) was asking me a lot about my personal habits, my transportation, etc. - fairly reasonable questions to ask a 20-year-old, I guess.

Then he leaned across the desk, fixed his gaze on me and asked: "Have you ever had sex with a co-worker?"

Well, I had learned years earlier that one of the most effective ways to buy time to collect yourself when surprised like this, is to ask a "clarifying question". My stupid clarifying question: "Do you mean *at* work?"

End of interview.

I found out a month or so later from an acquaitance who was hired for that job that the other person working in that position was the old man's 16-year-old granddaughter, hence his keen interest in my sexcapades.
  • An alternate, and equally interview-ending clarifying question would have been, "Are you talking about a male co-worker or a female co-worker?"
  • NO! For God's sakes! I thought the whole process was insane but this guy swore by it and had been formally trained in it, handbook by his side and all.
  • Glad to see so much thought on this. I did not mean the post as a joke. Especially liked paul's take on the compliment question.Regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • That reminds me of a purportedly true story involving a class of graduate seminary students who were taking their written final exams. The subject of their essay was "What is faith?"

The professor handed out the blue essay books and announced "you have exactly one hour to complete your essays starting now."

Barely a minute had gone by when a student approached the professor at his desk and handed him his blue book. The stunned professor watched the student grab his back pack and leave the class.

He turned over the cover of the essay book to find only two words written on the first page: "This is."

According to the story, the student received an A+.

Paul
  • Similar to what I used to do interviewing applicants as an AF recruiter years ago -- When initially greeting applicants and shaking hands with them, I would discreetly look at or feel their arms (good ol' good-to-see-you two-handed handshake) for evidence of needle tracks (a little trick they taught us in recruiting school).

Actually able to weed out some applicants without even talking with them.
  • The good ole hand shake can tell you a lot about an applicant!
  • I was discussing interviewing with someone lately and he told me of a business owner that always took key people out to dinner as part of the interview process. He took them to a friends restuarant where it was pre-arranged that now matter what the candidates ordered, the meal was intentionally screwed up! x:o Really just another step in behavior based interviewing. Think about the different responses that people might have to this and what that says about them. Pretty slick if you ask me.

He told me of another business owner that for senior mgmt. candidates always had the candidate and their spouse join him and his wife for dinner. One he also got his wifes input, knowing that she does not have on the blinders that he may if he is "in love with" a candidate. Also he said you would be suprised at the number of times people fought with their wives at dinner he said. That eliminated them or if they treated their wife rudely or with disrepect. Again, the meal situation takes a person out of "interview mode", you see more of the real them.

My $0.02.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • One of my favorite questions for reaction is: "Think about this for a minute before you answer...Tell me about the most important compliment you have received on your work." Some blurt out the first thing that comes to mind in spite of the admonition, some can't think of anything, some come up with pretty good responses.
  • I always loved using this question...

Picture yourself at your retirement party. What would your co-workers and managers be saying about you and your work with the company?

Pretty insightful stuff, gets the candidate to think a little more than just your old run of the mill, "what would your references say about you" question. Helps them to think a little more outside of the box.

Of course, I haven't heard this particular answer yet:
    "Retirement? What's that? I'm going to work until I die."

Don't know what I'd do if I did.
  • when interviewing---or even on a business lunch or dinner---i never order anything that is hard to eat---nothing that i can not use just a fork on---no sawing away on a lamb chop...also,no hot soup...it makes you need to blow your nose...regards,mike
  • I attended a seminar on workplace violence a couple of months ago, hosted by one of the most respected professionals in the field of forensic psychology, criminal behavior, and workplace interaction. The more I learned about stalkers, suicidal employees, and the like, the more convinced I was that the best move an employer can make is to not hire these people....so I asked the expert how an employer should go about designing a process that would weed them out up front.
    His response was that your interview should include this simple question:

"Tell me about the best boss you ever worked for...and the worst boss you ever worked for".

He went on to say that reasonably adjusted employees will have something nice to say about their "best boss", will downplay the "worst boss" situation, and will almost always speak longer about the best boss than the worst boss. The folks you have to watch for are those who can't think of a "best boss" but can give you 10 minutes of detail on every bad boss they've ever had. Just as bad are those who give you just the vague "oh, I get along with all my bosses"....you can tell they're hiding something.

I've tried this on an informal basis since receiving this advice, and you'd be amazed at how accurate it is.
  • cj,that is great advice...so simple but so effective...thanks,mike maslanka
  • Excellent suggestion! Thanks for posting that.
  • >"Tell me about the best boss you ever worked for...and the worst boss
    >you ever worked for".
    >

Guess I've been doing something right after all! I've used this question for years. It is truly effective along with the, "What would your co-workers say about you?" or "What 3 words would someone who didn't know you well say to describe you vs what someone who did know you well would say."

Thanks for telling everyone else about this great question, and validating my ego by re-enforcing that I'm doing a good job!