Establishing a more HR oriented department

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-01-02 AT 11:03AM (CST)[/font][p]I work in the corporate office of a local chain of restaurants. Currently, I am the HR administrator which basically means I process a lot of paperwork and reports for the big guys. There is no one else doing HR in the company. I don't mind but I would really like to make HR less about paperwork and make it more a part of the strategic management of the company. I would like to stick to the legal and procedures end of it because our general managers handle things like leader development and incentives. Not only would this benefit the company but also build my experience and would look good on my resume. I am planning to stay here for another 4-5 months or so and would like to "leave my mark". The CEO and COO are fully supportive of anything that I suggest so I feel comfortable initiating projects and policies with them.

So far these are what I have come up with:
1) Legal training for managers and trainers (this came up because one of our trainers said something to an HIV positive server that he shouldn't be working in our restaurants. Don't get me started on that one...)
2) Developing a recruiting program (rather than the boring newspaper ads I have been doing)
3) Evaluating the positions, their job descriptions and determine whether they are exempt or not.
4) Conducting monthly meetings with the new hires

Otherwise I am just a blank. Any ideas?

Johnette
[link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|Spread your HR wisdom, e-mail me!]

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think you've started with some good suggestions for management to consider. But, I'm getting mixed vibes from your posted intention. On one hand I see a genuine concern for building the department and expanding its value and usefullness. On the other, I hear you saying "I'm a real short-timer and want something on my resume with a little more meat in it." Do they know you're leaving? If they do, they might give little thought to your suggestions. If they do not, and you manage to get some of these ideas of yours moving forward, and then walk out the door, how will you feel about that? And what will you have really accomplished?
  • Valid concerns, Don.

I have a genuine interest in improving this company, leaving it better than when I came here. They have been wonderful to me and have given me a wonderful opportunity. The only reason why I say that I am leaving in a few months is because my separated husband and I are trying to reconcile and if we do, I will be moving since he will be taking the bar for another state at the beginning of next year. I have not told my employer about the possibility of my moving because everything is really up in the air right now. Heck, no one ever knows I have been separated for 2 months now. I may leave but then again I might stay on. I figure that if I get started on this, I would be able to get the ball rolling for my replacement and to create a position that has more meat than just paperwork. If I stay, then I can continue to work on improving the department. I am trying not to shoot myself in the foot here. I know it sounds like I am trying to pad my resume quickly but assure you, that is not the case.

Johnette
    [link:www.hrhero.com/cgi-bin/employersforum/employersforum.cgi?az=email_user&userid=Squishypig|Spread your HR wisdom, e-mail me!]
  • I would add teaching your managers how to do behavior-based interviewing. It will significantly improve their selection abilities, which in turn drives down the number of problems your organization will experience. It's one of the most proactive thing HR can do to limit liabilities.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]