Attendance tracking

I would be interested in knowing how some of you are tracking attendance in your companies. If by software, what are you using? What 'person' or 'people'in your company are tracking and reporting? Are you able to maintain consistency? We are a non-union, manufacturing company employing 205 people. There has not been a consistent, effective procedure for tracking attendance here for the past 20 years! You know how much trouble this can cause. It is especially hard to track tardies with hourly administrative employees because they work such diverse hours. But.......inevitably, when an offender receives corrective action, they will always compare themselves to someone else. How do you guys handle this?? x:-/

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Bgrimes: This activity is very serious for me, as the "lay attorney representative" of our company it is a "MUST HAVE DOCUMENT AND IT MUST BE ACCURATE". Currently, I have assigned this task to my payroll clerk. She either stays on top of the requirement to manually check and post the official time and attendance controller on a weekly basis, or she is required to stop everything and catch an individuals controller up, when I have a need to defend our actions in a unemployment hearing which is about two time a month, now. In the past years it was much more often when we were losing cases and every X-employee thought he/she was going to get their unemployment without a rightful cause. I have turned that situation around and I have not lost a case in which we have documented our every action in route to a termination. Time and Attendance is always a part of my exhibit file and a part of my formal testimony. We use the g.Neil form (lcohen@gneil.com is our contact), it works and is simple to read, record, and is an affirmative exhibit of the employees character "good and bad". I use it to prove disloyality and non-commitment to the company, or as firm proof of a positive character which was not displayed in some negative activity. I have had the receptionist keep the record, a HR secretary, an office manager, and my payroll clerk/assistant HR. I have also posted the record, before I had this forum to keep me occupied. Now that I have things so well organized, I can spend more time learning HR stuff. Good Luck, Pork
  • We use the Selecttime Attendance Control. It was reasonably priced for a small company like mine ( we have 60 ee). This will track tardiness, absences, fmla, vacation etc. You can track by day or minutes.
    Hope this helps.

• We have approximately 300 employees whose time is tracked for attendance purposes. Since the company I work for wasn't interested in expending a lot of $$ in a tracking program, I set up a database in Access. From my database, I can run FMLA reports, verbal and written warnings, suspension notices, etc. Although the set up was relatively easy, I am continually adjusting it as I learn more about Access.

We are (relatively) consistent with our attendance, as our policy is set up on a fairly "cut and dry" point system, with approved, unapproved and exempt absences. The shift supervisors make notations on time reports, and HR does the data entry into the Access Database.
  • >We have approximately 300 employees whose time is tracked for
    >attendance purposes. Since the company I work for wasn't interested
    >in expending a lot of $$ in a tracking program, I set up a database in
    >Access. From my database, I can run FMLA reports, verbal and written
    >warnings, suspension notices, etc. Although the set up was relatively
    >easy, I am continually adjusting it as I learn more about Access.
    >
    >We are (relatively) consistent with our attendance, as our policy is
    >set up on a fairly "cut and dry" point system, with approved,
    >unapproved and exempt absences. The shift supervisors make notations
    >on time reports, and HR does the data entry into the Access Database.

arodriguez, could you possibly fax or email me a copy of your attendance policy? I am interested in seeing how you handle approved and exempt absences.
    Do you have a progressive discipline policy you use also? If so, at what point do you apply progressive discipline related to absenteeism and tardiness? Do you have a limit on absences? Or only un-approved absences? What is exempt? At our company, right now we are saying that (7) absences is excessive and issue a 'verbal' at 7 days missed, 'written warning' at 8, and 'final' at 9. Please reply. My fax number is 636-940-8499, email is: [email]bgrimes@craftsmenind.com[/email].

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 01:30PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 01:11 PM (CST)[/font]

Hopefully you received my email this morning. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

• my client has also been a non tracker for years. His employment manual says everyone gets 2 weeks per year, use it or lose it. Assuming this is based on aniversary dates of hire, does anyone know how to go about starting a tracking system? Should we tell everyone that starting with their aniversary date they have earned another two weeks and as of today they have ???? from the previous year? Thanks!

sbt
  • Your client didn't track vacation/leaves at all? At our company, our employees are actually pretty accurate in tracking themselves, meaning I can ask just about anyone and they will tell me if they've used vacation, how many points they think they've missed, etc. Depending on the size of the company and the trust/faith the employer has in his employees, you may want to just ask the employee how many days they believe they have used, and start from there. If the employer has a timeclock system, you may want to check for absences. If all else fails, I would give the employees the benefit of the doubt and give 2 weeks on their anniversary date.

A. Rodriguez
    Human Resource Manager

• When we started our new point system it didn't affect our vacation, we were already keeping track of that on the ee aniversary date. We started our point system with everyone at 0 points on the first day of the given month and let them start from there. EE are given 12 points to use for 12 consecutive months. After the 12 months points start rolling off.
    Hope this helps.

• >When we started our new point system it didn't affect our vacation, we
    >were already keeping track of that on the ee aniversary date. We
    >started our point system with everyone at 0 points on the first day of
    >the given month and let them start from there. EE are given 12 points
    >to use for 12 consecutive months. After the 12 months points start
    >rolling off.
    >Hope this helps.

Wiremanufacturer......Could you please explain "after the 12 months, points start rolling off"? How do they 'lose' points? Are you using a Jan-Dec calendar for everyone? Do 'new hires' start from their 'Date of Hire'? Is there progressive discipline tied to this?

• Yes points roll off after 1 year. If I receive a point today, then October 23, 2003 it will roll off. We do verbal write ups after 4 points, written after 6, suspension after 8 & 10 and terminate at 12. We also have a clause that you may be terminated at any time. New hires start from their employment date. It seems to work pretty well for us. We've used this system for a little over 1 year and adopted it from a large mfg plant in our area who have used it for years. We're just a little more generous than they are. There you are terminated at 10 pts.
    We asses points as follows: full day absent 1 pt, missing 1/2 shift 1/2 pt, tardy or leaving early 1/3 pt and if you are a no call no show 2 pt.

• I wish our system was like that -- rolling calendar. I tried to get the company to see the benefit, but upper management decided to allow employees to have a "clean-slate" every year. Unfortunately, UM also decided that we don't "look back" at the previous year when it comes to discipline, so technically a person can have terrible attendance, almost exceed points, year after year with no termination occurring.

A. Rodriguez
    Human Resource Manager

• I work for a company that has around 650 employees and we use ADP. It's fairly simple that it tracks time and prints on the employees paychecks.