Motor Vehicle Record

Our hospital owns an Ambulance service- I have created a policy on MVR's for ambulance drivers- stating that the District (we are a Public Hospital District) requires a current MVR on all potential ambulance crew members. It also states: It is also the policy that each current employee that drives an ambulance will provide the Hospital with a current MVR as requested. MVR's may be purchased at the Department of Licensing and will be the responsibility of the employee.

In other words, the employee is to pay for the MVR. I have an employee- who saw this policy before it was approved by our Board of Commissioners- in July, that is now questioning if we can require the employee to pay for the MVR. They are like THREE LOWSY DOLLARS!!!

Does anyone have any info on whether we can make the cost of the MVR the employee's responsibility????

THANK YOU for any information!!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would think this is akin to requiring that all employees have a pre-placement physical -- the company must pay for that, therefore if it's required as a condition of employment, I think the company would have to pay for the MVR.

Now -- when I hire drivers, I let my (liability) insurance company run the MVR -- they do it free of charge. All I need to send them is a signed form from the employee stating "I give permission for my MVR to be provided for XYZ Comapny" signed, dated, DL# and date of birth included.
  • I think the company should build this cost into their expenses and do it at their cost annually. After all, as you said, "It's only 3 lousy bucks". It will be a more workable program for you to provide the license bureau with a monthly list of those you want them to run for you and attach a check to each request. You don't really want these things passing to you through the employee's hands in the first place. Just my own thoughts, of course.
  • Our insurance company requires us to have ee's verify a current MVR upon hire as well as annually. We state this requirement in our application, which the applicant must intial, and have not had anyone question it (By the way, it's $5 in Arizona if you need to go back more than one year).

However, when the ee's anniversary rolls around, we (the company) send for and pay for the MVR. Just the way we have always done it. For whatever it's worth.
  • Thank you for your responses. I think I will present to my Administrator that we pay for it. I found it funny- I emailed the State of Washington to see about any RCW, etc.,, They emailed me back and said I should consult our attorney. This may be their "practice" just to be on the safe side, but typical of the government.
    Thank you again.