Does anyone understand HIPAA?

We are are planning to update the emergency information for each of our employees. On our Emergency Data Sheet, we would like to include the following:

Preferred doctor & hospital
Known allergies
Existing medical conditions
Medications
Blood type
Date of Birth

We would also like to include a statement to be signed by the employee agreeing to allow our company to give consent for medical treatment if we are unable to reach any of the listed contacts.

Is the collection of any of this information prohibited under HIPAA? Are there any special considerations we should know about in our recordkeeping?

Does anyone out there know?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND PROTECTION ACT!!! gO TO YOUR INTERNET BROUSER TYPE IN HIPPA then hit go and would you believe the is a full blown answer pertaining to the security of health information and records. Best go there, Pork!
  • SORRY, PORK... the correct acronym is HIPAA-
    Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act...

:) cheerio
  • Yea, my fingers were faster than my brain, I trying to get to 1004 postings. Like everything else the faster we go the behinder we get. I was close and had the right thought, just the wrong typing. thanks, Pork
  • I would think that HIPAA is going to prohibit your obtaining this information. I guess I would wonder if you have an absolute need to know this anyway. Seems like most of it could be used to discriminate. You would be better off not getting the medical info. The first time you discipline/terminate someone with a major health condition, they will say it was really because you wanted them off your medical plan. How are you going to defend that?
  • Miriam,

I see your point about the medical conditions. What about allergies, preferred doctor, hospital, blood type, etc. We simply want to be able to help the employee get the quickest and most accurate medical care possible in the event of a major accident or injury. I guess we may need to scale down the list, but I'm not sure what to leave.

Thanks!
  • Sites you should visit -- [url]www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa[/url]

covered entity decision tool -- [url]www.cms.gov/hipaa[/url]

• I agree with Miriam. This is information you will not be able to collect or share after October 2003, 2002 in some cases, if you are a 'small plan'. Nor would I ever want to have the obligation/ability to schedule an employee for treatment of any sort in the absence of family members. Let the EMT team handle that however they would with anybody else in the community. This is not an obligation/service the employer should pick up nor be responsible for defending. Perhaps somebody can show me the error of my thoughts.
  • HR Cat:
    While your intent seems benign, it strikes me as more instrusive than you might be intending. Collection of medications and existing medical conditions may expose you to ADA issues when you obtain information you never really wanted to collect. Once you're in possession of that info you're under the microscope to defend ANY employment action that involves those employees. I think the suggestions from Miriam and Don are valid and worth considering.
  • Thanks for all the input. Based on your comments, I will make the recommendation that we keep it very basic, asking only for names, addresses and phone numbers of emergency contacts.

• Get emergency contacts but I would suggest not asking for the rest. In an emergency situation just let the EMTs take care of the employee.
  • HR Cat: I went back to another question from awhile back and pulled a response up for this question of yours. Although the subject of that one was the importance and wisdom of having certain medical information on hand, I think it is perhaps Germaine to your current question as well. I think we should ask ourselves, "What's the worst thing that can happen if I have such information on file?" This answer provided by Steve Mc addresses this in a real eye-opening fashion. Don D.

Don,
    As usual, you raise good questions. My thoughts, for what they are worth, follow.

I would want to be certain that you and your attorney feel confident that the agreements (one with the applicants and another with the clinic) allow for the circumstances you describe, including post-hire verification of truthful representation. If all are signed off on this, I don't see why this doesn't give you what you need; your attorney should be able to ensure that they are crafted appropriately.

I very much share your discomfort about routinely having the forms onsite. And I do understand that you are careful with the forms you have received, and would personally ensure that the information is not misused.

Nonetheless, I simply suggest that juries might be open to a line of insinuation that goes like, "Mr. Don, you helped write this final written warning, did you not? And you were in fact central to the discussions to terminate Mr. X, were you not? Indeed, you personally walked him out the door, isn't that correct? And at the time you did these acts, you were fully aware that Mr. X had AIDS, were you not? And this very sensitive, very personal and confidential medical information about Mr. X had been sent to you by your contractor, the ABC Clinic, which does physicals for your prospective employees, isn't that correct? Indeed, you routinely get such sensitive information about each of the people who become your employees, including the defendent and others who might be here today, isn't that correct? And could you please tell the men and women of the jury the business reason, the legitimate business use, for your routinely having this information????"

Regards,

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    HR Futures

408 605 1870