Religious objections to Halloween decorations

One of my managers brought a problem to me regarding an employee who is indicating that she has religious objections to the halloween decorations that are at the same workstation that she uses. (A worker from another shift has put them up.) I told the manager to have her come to my office when she arrives today (for second shift) to discuss the problem.

As a sidenote, both employees have been here many years and recently there has been some rivalry about what can and cannot be posted in the workstation. Halloween decorations have been put up every year and the employee has not brought up any objections in the past.

Is anyone aware of a religion where these objections could be deemed "sincerely held religious beliefs?" Do you have any suggestions?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'll go out on the limb first. If I shared a workstation with a person of a different religion, I can't imagine that I would object to that person putting up something that signifies his own, or even lack thereof. But if he posted something really offensive and critical of my own, I would object. Some people say halloween is satanic. Some people don't think that at all. If the postings recommend goat slaughter or blood letting, I probably would object. If it's a pumpkin and a black cat with crepe paper, I think I'd let it slide. Maybe you should treat this exactly like you would smoking; if it's offensive, it's not allowed. How about asking this, "OK guys, can we compromise here?" What you really have here is the broader problem of deciding what right an ee has to individual expression, not in his own workspace, but in somebody else's. You've really got a problem if this is the same one who objects to fresh flowers and Christian music and sends the vile emails.
  • I agree, if the decorations are generic versus something specificly religious or on this case occultic, then why the big deal. Here is what I mean:

Easter: A bunny or easter egg vs an empty tomb or Cross
    Christmas: A snowman or wrapped present vs. a nativity scene

Generic decorations are more about festivity and fun than expressing a particular private religious view.

Having said that, I do know of people that have been abused and are particularly sensitive to occult images (witches, ghosts, etc). I think those images may be offensive.

Stick to pumpkins.

Paul
  • I agree with the above posts. We try to keep fall decorations "harvesty" instead of "halloweeny". There is a religion I know of that views celebrating holidays (ANY holiday--including birthdays) the same way Christians veiw idol worship (think golden calf). So, it's best to keep it seasonal I think...pumpkins, gourds, leaves, etc.
    Cinderella ("dressed in yell-a")
  • Thanks to all who replied. After meeting with the employee, I found Don D to be right, the issue is more one of "my space" rather than religious objections. However, having said that, she finds the image of a malevolent witch to be disturbing to her.

We discussed how she could raise the issue with her co-worker and what compromises she thought might be workable. She will try to have a discussion with him tomorrow.

• Don you had to throw the fresh flowers and Christian music in didn't ya.x:p Just kidding. You may want to consider what schools do. One already suggested, keeping it generic. They do fall leaves, pumpkins etc, for Winter they do snow men, winter scenes, snowflakes, or they use it as a teaching experience and try to represent alittle of several religions. I know a politically correct world. Food for thought.
  • I wanted to see who was sticking out their tongue at me. But, alas, it's one of those folks with no profile........
  • We also keep things generic - allow employees to wear "tasteful" sweaters, etc., but not to dress like demons or witches (not a good thing in a cardiac facility!). Also, allow pumpkins in the workstations - we put candy baskets out for the employees and patients.

Anyway...as a sidenote, wondering why this year in particular the employee decided this was offensive to her religion if it had not been a problem before?
  • Don,
    I thought I filled out a profile when I signed up to post. The tongue thing was tongue and cheek no pun intended. I'm trying to mend my ways after my scolding over the flowers. ;;)
  • Is Don the profile police?? Any way...I job shared with a girl once and we shared the same desk. We worked it out between ourselves what we would have on OUR desk. We both respected each others things, beliefs, whatever. This is something so petty compared to other problems HR must deal with on a daily basis. Have them work it between themselves.
  • That was also one of my questions, but rather than make assumptions, I decided to ask her about it. Recent converts to a particular religion are often the strongest adherants.

In this case, before I met with her, I went out personally to look at the decorations and the manager told me that she had said that she would be ok with the cute little stuffed witch but not with the angry looking one. At that point, I realized that it was more an issue with personal preference and so approached it from that standpoint, although I did still question the employee about where she was coming from.

A happy resolution--the employee who put up the decorations was very cooperative and has agreed to either take it down each day at the end of his shift or to take it down altogether (which he told me is most likely what he will do).

Isn't it amazing what a little communication will do? x:D