CHILD SUPPORT DEDUCTIONS

DOES AN EMPLOYER NEED TO TELL THE EX SPOUSE OF AN EMPLOYEE, WHEN, OR WHY
WE HAVE NOT SENT OUT THE CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENT. OUR SALESMEN ARE ON
COMMISSION, AND SOMETIMES THEY DON'T SELL AND DON'T CLOCK IN OR OUT, SO WE
DON'T PAY THEM NOTHING. AND IF WE DON'T PAY THEM NOTHING THAN WE DON'T SEND
NOTHING TO CHILD SUPPORT, THEN WE GET THEIR EX- WIVES CALLING AND WANTING TO
KNOW WHY WE HAVE NOT SENT THE PAYMENTS, AND HOW MUCH THAT EMP. MADE, ETC ETC
MY QUESTION IS, CAN WE REFUSE TO ANSWER ANY OR MOST OF THERE QUESTIONS?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not sure if your state has any regulations regarding this, but in Wisconsin, we do not have to communicate to the ex-spouse why they did not receive a child support payment. In fact, I was told by our state child support agency that if the ex-spouse calls, I should simply tell them to contact the child support agency as they are not supposed to be calling the employer. If the child support agency contacts you, you can give them the information that your employee did not receive any compensation for that pay period.
  • In my opinion, you should not even get involved in these situations. The spouses, ex-spouses or whatever should be calling the Department of Social Services or whoever handles child support payments in your state.

If your employee doesn't work, that's not your responsibility,nor does it absolve them of their rights to make support payments. But...this is not something that you should even address. Refer them to the appropriate agency!
    You have enough to do without becoming a social welfare agency.
  • I assumed he was talking about those situations where court ordered garnishments are in place (we have at least 35) and the employer is obligated to send payments directly to the spouse. Maybe I assumed too much. But, I agree, although we have to that degree become a social agency on the side, we should never get into discussion with spouses or others. We have enough of them calling or appearing at the front window wanting to know where Junior works and what shift he's on.