Policy on Expense Reimbursement

Do any of you have a policy on reimbursement to employees for meals while traveling for work? We would like to make a new policy giving set dollar amounts for meals. We had an employee- who we did not think would- spend $43 for ONE MEAL while on a two day trip for a class.

Thank you
Mindy

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't know if this will help but we give each of our over-the-road drivers a per diem of $32.00 per day (but we're a small company).
  • Thank you- we are a small hospital (total of 100 employees)- and any info is appreciated.

Mindy
  • We are a small organization (45 ees) and we give all of our employee's Visa Credit Cards to utilize while traveling so we sometimes encounter this situation. When a new employee starts with the organization, I verbally tell them that a good "rule of thumb" concerning meal expenses is no more than $20 / meal and most employees will not even spend that much. However, we also have a statement in our employee handbook that reads:

"Meals and other expenses directly related to accomplishing business travel objectives should be put on the Corporate Credit Card whenever possible otherwise they will be reimbursed. Employees must limit expenses to reasonable amounts. Cost of meals, no more lavish than would be eaten at the employee's own expense. Tips not exceeding 15% of the total cost of a meal."

Hope this helps!

• We have had the same problem arise this morning. We were submitted an expense report that has a $37 breakfast, $29 lunch, and $89 dinner. Makes you wonder, do these people always eat like this? Needless to say, we let the Executive Director make the call on this one. Limits were made on breakfast to $15 and dinner to $50.
  • He/she definately did not eat the "other white meat". I believe since it is after the fact I would get the receipt information and give some time to better understand the expense of his/her meal. Steak and Lobster together down our way might cost $25.00 and that is resonable. One can buy a meal for one called a "chunk" of prime steak and it will feed three easily. The chunk goes for $29.95, with 15% tip one could get to $34 and change. There must be some bar tab carried over to the dining room, where we would not re-imburse one penny until the employee clarified the expense. Call the restrauant for they would not want bad publicity toward their expense; they will normally give you the information required to know what went on with the receipt, after which you could then challange the employee and let him/her hang themself. I don't believe cheating on expenses is any different than a lie in the board room. You may have found a flaw in this employee's character. Good luck, Pork
  • Our small 30 employee factory gives $35 per day per diem for overnight travel with North America and the Caribbean, and $ 50 per day for all other countries.
  • We are a smaller company, 75 employees and we allow $50 a day for meals.