Herpes in the workforce

If an employee calls in to her supervisor saying she cannot report to work because of an outbreak, must the employer demand medical clearance from her treating physician before she can return to work? Additionally, if she knows she will need clearance, she will probably not report any subsequent outbreaks. What should employer do to maintain safety for all other employees?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We require a doctor's note if the employee is out of work for more than 3 days. We don't ask for specifics, just a note stating the employee is able to return to work. Three days or less - no note required. (Sometimes employees provide more details about their illness than is necessary (TOO MUCH INFORMATION))
  • From what I've read, all an employee needs to do to ensure his own safety is not have sex with her. Otherwise, I don't guess there's anything the company can or should do. You certainly would not want to issue any cautions or publicize her medical condition. I've never known an employee to bring this up as a reason for an absence. Like the other responder said, she's volunteering entirely too much information.
  • I hate to be technical, but there are 2 types of herpes, genital and oral herpes, as several different strains. I do not know if oral herpes can be spread on surfaces or by hand, but sexual contact of any kind during an outbreak (including oral) can cause the infection. If I recall, the key is the outbreak, no outbreak, very low risk of transmission. If it was me, I would read up a little on herpes (on my own and confidentially) just for some general knowledge. Should the employee have oral herpes, I am not sure what I would do until I read up on methods of transmission.

FYI, I got this info on herpes from watching a special on MTV, if you can believe it.

General disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a member of the medical profession, nothing written above should be construed as medical advice.
  • Oral herpes, fever blisters if you will, is generally transmitted by lip contact. It's main problem is in embarassment for a couple of days. There would typically be no need for an ee to miss work due to a cold sore or fever blister. pamphlets on both are available from the health department and most clinic waiting rooms. Can we change the subject to hemorrhoids or something more mundane? O=*
  • Oh Don,

You just make my days, x;-) now that I have picked myself up off the floor from laughing I guess I should get back to work........ x:D Thanks for your comments, keep them coming, they add brightness to the days th-up
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-05-02 AT 08:10PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-05-02 AT 08:09 PM (CST)[/font]

Being the compulsive person that I am, I did look up info on herpes. Both types I and II can cause the generally embarassing cold sores but type II is associated with genital herpes and, yes, can cause cold sores as well. Anything that would come into contact, a towel, glass, wiping her mouth and touching a faucet, can transfer the virus while a cold sore is active. While hemmorids may be more fun to talk about, they are not contagious nor can they cause abnormalities in the unborn fetus of another unsuspecting pregnant co-worker who could be exposed. Also guys, women sit in the rest room and if the virus is where you think it is....
  • That was our main concern - transmission through a toilet seat used by others. sounds like nothing we can do, though: save putting those paper toilet seat rings around all of the office toilets!
  • Responsibilities are two fold. You need to ensure the safety of your other employees while maintaining confidentiality of the employee in question. I found two government fact sheets on genital herpes that should be helpful. [url]http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/stdherp.htm[/url] & [url]http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/fact_sheets/facts_genital_Herpes.htm[/url]. One of the sheets says the virus rarely can be transmitted through a toilet seat, but that does not mean it can't be, just rarely.

A few questions also need to be answered. Does this fall under FMLA and/or ADA? From there you can plan your next steps.