Mood Disorder

I am sure you all have had this happen before, but I would be interested in how you would handle it.

I have an assistant that I share with the CFO. I did not hand pick her as an HR assistant; she was hired to replace a departing CFO Admin Assistant and I was able to utilize her services as the CFO determined that he did not need a full time assistant.

For the first year she was a good employee - she can do anything she puts her mind to in the area of computers, devising spread sheets, etc. I would not have hand picked her to bed an HR Assistant as she does not have the right personality for this type job. She can come across as very abrupt and short, especially on the telephone. All good assistants I have ever had came across as enthusiastic, outgoing, friendly, etc. Once you get to know her, she is ok, but first impressions are important

On our 2002 evaluations it was necessary to cut costs and we cut the percentages that employees were given for the 2002 year. She was given a very good evaluation as far as her work performance is concerned, but since her evaluation was given and she got the reduced percentage, her attitude has taken a dramatic dip downward. This is very obvious, not just to me, but to everyone who is around her. She is very curt when you say "good morning" - she only speaks when spoken to most of the time. The general consensus is "not happy to be here any longer".

I know this is going to have to be addressed very soon with her as she are going to need to make some decisons in our administrative area and I am afraid she is not going to be selected for an Executive Assistant position that she feels eminently qualified for. She has totally blown her opportunity for this because of her actions of the past few weeks.

I feel it is a matter of time before termination.

Any comments? Advice?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My first thought reading this is to start documenting ASAP the changes. She could use the fact that she received a good review and then was terminated for her "mood disorder" x;-) against you.
  • Since your assistant was hired to replace a departing CFO Admin Asst, I'm not surprised that her personality is not the "warm & fuzzy" people routinely expect HR assistants to have. She probably fitted the position well until she was asked to do HR duties. Accounting/finance/computer/engineering/technical type folks are usually described as being "black & white, number-crunching types, with little time for nicesities." You did say that once you get to know her, she is OK although you feel first impressions are important, that's a positive! Approach her first by emphasizing a positive aspect of her skills (i.e., computer skills)and other positive traits you have observed (really try to come up with them!). Then, bring up the fact that within the past few months, you received feedback from others and you had also observed a significant attitude change. Describe her attitude in terms of what you observed i.e., very abrupt and short, etc. Make sure when you describe her attitude, that you be as objective as possible. Point out to her that the Executive Assistant position she wanted to be considered for, interfaces with many employees and requires a person who comes across as open-minded, diplomatic, approachable, etc., and unfortunately she has not exhibited these communication skills required for the position. Suggest that she take communication skills classes or workshops to help her. Try to work with her first before you consider termination -- I think everyone deserves the chance to correct poor performance. If you have counseled or coached her numerous times, then it may be time to plant the seed about termination.
  • I wonder, could she be having personal problems? I know this is no excuse for treating fellow employees rudely, but there could be a great amount of stress involved. She may not realize how others perceive her.

How does the CFO feel about her performance and attitude?
  • This is interesting because it relates to the personality discussion we have had recently. My guess is you have a detailed, analytical personality who has been thrust into a people position where her communication skills (or lack) are being exposed.

A lot of time, anger or moodiness is a manifestation of un-resolved frustration. In this case, she is upset about her performance review. But perhaps she has the right to be upset...

My concern would be that she was "set up" for potential problems here. Were her communication/people skills adequate for the position she now holds? If not, did she receive any training in that area?

If she can do good work, I would really try to get her some training in the area of communication, customer service, interpersonal relationships,etc before any talk of termination begins.

To place an employee in a position they may not be well suited for and then terminate them when they are not performing well doesn't seem fair.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • I don't doubt that she has reason to be upset about her salary increase, but she was warned in advance what the increase was going to be. As I advised her, I cannot, in good conscience, make an exception in her case unless I make it for everyone else in her sitaution.

I firmly believe there are certain personalities for certain positions and you cannot be taught certain skills - they are inate. Either you tend to be an introvert or an extrovert; you like working with people or you like working behind the scenes.

Even thought this individual is not a naturally friendly, outgoing person, she can conduct herself in a manner that is acceptable.
    I believe that part of being a professional is to accept circumstances and disappintment without developing a "frosty" attitude that is very evident and is a radical change from her usual reserved demeanor. If an employee cannot conduct themselves in a mature manner, then I feel it is time to move on to somewhere where they would be happier.