EE with expired drivers license.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-06-02 AT 04:39PM (CST)[/font][p]We have an employee whose driver's license has expired. He is dragging his feet to renew because it has been flagged for failure to turn in tags on a van which was sold. He has received 3 warnings from the DMV to come and pay the penalty.

His job is 50% driving and now that he is not able to drive, his supervisors are having to do his route. Which is fine on a short term basis but this is certainly not a long term solution. There is no other job he can do and we would have to hire another person who would be able to drive. I advised (in a non-commited sort of way) that we place him on an unpaid leave of absence for x amount of time to allow him to renew his license. If has not renewed his license by that time, he would be terminated.

Is this OK? Or are there other problems that I am not foreseeing?

Johnette
[email]johnette@deangelospizzeria.com[/email]

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm assuming this guy is a pizza delivery person. If driving is a part of his job, you certainly are right in verifying that his license is current. And, if he does not have a current license and won't get one within two days of being advised to, point him in the direction of the parts store down the street where he can work counter sales without driving. I don't know the renewal process in Louisiana but it can't be that much different from ours......it takes maybe an hour of standing in line at the highway patrol office and the ability to stand erect while a photo is snapped. His baggage about not turning in the tags is his problem, not the employers. Your obligation is to the company and the customers.
  • Thanks Don! Actually he makes the food and produce deliveries from our commissary to the resturants. I appreciate the time for you to answer, I am a newbie and sometimes I question myself on if I said or did the right thing when it comes to HR.

Johnette
    [email]johnette@deangelospizzeria.com[/email]
  • I know sometimes all of us in HR want to be all things to all people and have a warm and fuzzy relationship with employees; however, I have strong feelings about people having personal obligations and consequences and this is a case where we need to bite the bullet and move forward for the sake of the business. I think a very generous offer would be to give him two days to present to you a license renewal or a receipt for paying for one. Without the license, he does not meet the essential requirements of the position (as I understand it). Good luck finding a new employee. Overnite me a double pepperoni!