Summer-time warehouse conditions

Hello, All...
I searched the data base, but did not find this topic previously discussed... We have a large 100 SF non-air conditioned warehouse distribution & manufacturing facility in Baltimore. In Summer months, we have fans etc, but no AC in the warehouse. Because of its structure & layout, it gets warm out there, but not oppressively hot. There are some machines that generate heat, but again, not like an oven. I would say at its hottest, the waehouse may be 80 - 85. Again, cool building interior, lots of floor & hanging fans etc... Sadly, Because many employees kept taking liberties, not following, and pushing the limits of acceptability, several members of management made a change to our dress code. We now have a 'No Shorts' policy. Long pants only. Chinos or jeans, or whatever they like - just pants length. After this announcement, ten employees made calls to the Labor Board to complain of bad working conditions. Summers in MD can be rough at nearly 100 degrees ... We have always been sensistive to heat-issues: extra breaks, water accesible, supervisors trained to look for heat-related stress... but now that SHORTS have been taken away, boy, are they mad. Any comments or suggestions to advise me of what I'm in for??? Thanks in advance for any info...
Lori in Baltimore

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Please, anyone correct me if I'm off base on this, but why don't you just set some limits instead of having ALL shorts banned. The schools do it all the time, fingertip length or longer, or not more than 4 inches above the knee, etc., whatever works for your environment. I know, someone will scream that no one has time to enforce this, but who enforces the "no shorts" policy? My experience has been that if I work a little to keep my employees happy I am rewarded several times over with loyal workers and high morale.
  • I agree with Annie - see if there is anyway that you can change policy so that they can still wear certain length shorts. Take it to managers as a benefit offered to good employees. If they come to work with any other unacceptable clothing, what would you do? Just let them know that they will be sent home to change, unpaid.
  • Unfortunately -- Been There, Done THAT. For the past several years, we have tried to allow shorts, making the 'to the fingertips' rule etc... We have sent people home. We have written people up. Everything short of termination. There is so much fighting that comes with SHORTS in our facility. Taller people vs shorter people - 'My shorts come to my knee ... Her shorts are four inches shorter --- she's taller --- that's not fair!' We get every color, style, design, ripped, ragged, etc. When we've tried to allow them to use their common sense, and use good taste, it just isn't happening. You wouldn't think it was so difficult for employees to just get a few pair of knee-length, comfy, functional shorts for working in a pretty physical environment. So, because they are acting like children, the couple of rotten apples have now ruined the SHORTS benefit for all. Truthfully, the execs are tired of playing around with this - and bottom line: they couldn't comply with previous directives - so now they've lost their benefit. This is out of my hands -- there is no arguing the point.
    :(
    Lori

• One other suggestion along this line, and then I'll let it die. Would it be feasible to make available a "uniform" short? There are so many companies out there that offer this sort of thing. Actually, that's the way the schools manage it. They select the shorts that are appropriate and the vendor, and if the students want to wear shorts they purchase those shorts from that vendor and no other. Otherwise, it's long pants.
  • This sounds like one of those situations where a management type walks through a work area, sees something he or she doesn't like and issues a directive without thinking through the implications. Don't get me wrong...the management types pay our salaries, so it's up to us to make it work. I don't think that the EE's will get anywhere with DOL, or OSHA if that's who they called, but do you guys really want DOL and OSHA to have to field complaints about your company? In my experience, it's best to remain as invisible as possible to any regulatory agency. Why not establish a mandatory uniform policy for your warehouse people that mandates uniform shorts from May 1 (for example) through Sept. 1, and trousers the rest of the year? You could then set up an account with a uniform company to provide appropriate shorts upon hire, and also possibly mandate that the EE's pay for the uniforms through payroll deductions (but check your State regulations before making deductions). I think such a policy would satisfy both sides. Good luck and stay cool.
  • We have a power generation station where the temperature can run to 120 degrees in summer. We do not permit shorts but do have water available. Your employees may well be unhappy but plenty of people work in much warmer temperatures further south. They will get through it. This is the price we pay for overlooking problem employees. All employees must then suffer when we have to paint with a broad brush rather than using discipline or even discharge to keep order.
  • On especially hot days, we made Gatorade available. Also, I used to work for a place where someone would go around with Ice Pops every once in a while.
  • We're in southeast Alabama, heat index outside is over 120 degrees in the summer.

Staff in our Kitchen work over ranges that put out 450 degree plus heat. Staff in our Because of Safety issues the kitchen staff wear long pants, but we provide light cotton uniforms for summer. Laundry work with dryers and irons putting out some pretty serious heat as well, they wear uniform shorts. Both areas have fans mounted in work areas, because even with commercial A/C units the heat is pretty darn tough during our summers down here.

The grounds crew and valet staff (car parkers) work outside in sun and heat all day.

We provide water, gatorade and ice tea to all staff who work in heat.We've never had to change the working environment for our employees in these areas and we've never had to provide shorts. Some we do, some we can't.

Of course that doesn't help with your staff...but you could ask them for suggestions to improve the area - not to include shorts.

• Thanks, everyone, for your supportive words. It's good to know others are in the same "hot-environment" boat that we're in! This morming, I ran by the Wal-Mart, and got extra bottled water, Icy-Pops & Power-Ade!!! Today will be 90+ so we'll be ready! Thanks Again --- from the shorts-free zone!!
    Lori in Baltimore