Community Service

I would like to hear from companies who offer the benefit
of allowing their employees to volunteer in the commmunity on company time.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • With the exception of our company's officers being on commissions and school boards,etc., this isn't practiced widely. We do have people who participate on various boards and commissions such as chamber of commerce or blood drives and a few benevolent things we as a company participate in. But, generally, ee's don't decide to volunteer and have company carte blanche to be absent. I was told on another forum issue that some states require employers to let 'volunteer firemen' be absent with pay while on call.
  • A former employer offered 2 community service days per year. Employees could take off two days, with pay, to volunteer at their chosen organization. They were required to give 2 weeks notice and provide some type of verification when they returned. I personally used one to volunteer at my son's pre-school.

• I'm wondering if you've uncovered any more details or information regarding this topic? Just recently, I have started exploring this idea, with the hope to present it before our executive committee.
  • Because our agency sees volunteering as a very wise thing to do, we allow any employee to volunteer up to four hours per month on company time.

Employees must request this time in writing 2 weeks in advance for supervisor approval. A representative from the place the ee is volunteering must sign the form so the ee can attach it to their timesheet.

We have 47 staff members and in the 2 years we have offered this opportunity just four ees have used it, one of them frequently. Most are volunteering for their child's class party or a field trip. We have found it to be a great benefit to offer for many reasons. I encourage you to try it!

• Showme: I would check out with my Insurance carrier underwriters with reference to the company's liablity for damages while this employee is on this "paid volunteer time" both travelling to, while working at, and travelling from back to their home! There are a lot of potential risk here, areas of concern for your company and the insurance carrier. In this day and time of violence in our lives every day, every where, you and your underwriters must be together on this one. The dangers of filling an automobile at a gas station in the Washington DC area can be a personal tragic situation today, right now; and if this was your volunteer employee out on an approved volunteer work period, the family estate will want to know, why you the company authorized this person to be out there in the dangerous world in the first place rather than at work making toward overtime and more income for the family. Just a terrible thought but one we HRs and risk managers must consider. In my state, in many locations it does not pay to be involved in any sort of legal concerns, the company looses whether you win or not it no longer matters! The price goes up and up! Pork