Former employee applying for job

We will have a part-time position open next month, which a former employee has expressed interest in. She was only a marginal employee and had a very poor attendance record. We reorganized several jobs within our Association and she opted to leave our Association and take one of the jobs as an independent contractor working off-site. However, she has recently interviewed for one position within our organization, but was not accepted. As far as the new part-time position, I realize that I will probably have to interview her. How can I ethically and legally get around NOT considering her for the position? The new position requires very dependable attendance. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why do you have to interview her? This happens to me all the time. Our policy says that an employee who leaves in good standing, i.e., voluntary resignation with appropriate notice, turns company property in, etc. is eligible for rehire. It doesn't mean we have to.

Believe me, I have watched some ees leave and heaved a huge sigh of relief. There is no way - unless I could figure there was some type of discrimination involved - that this ee would get into the hiring process again.

• Advertise the position and if the former employee responds send out the generic letter "We have received your resume for the position of _____ and if you are to be considered for our interview process you will be contacted to arrange for a mutually convenient date. You are under no obligation to interview a former employee.
  • The answer to your question is in your question. She had documented poor attendance and the job requires otherwise. There's no obligation to interview her in the first place. Don't let her get in the loop. Review her app, consider it, then put it aside.
  • I think you answered your own question. The position requires good attendance (don't they all?) and the ex-employee does not have that quality. It just happens that you know it first hand and don't have to call anyone else for a reference.

Tammy Jo