two jobs/one salary

If anyone has any feedback on this situation, please let me know.

There is an employee who has an accountant I position, making a relatively low salary for her education and qualifications. She is now being asked to take on several other duties that are considered more of a contracts administration position, but they do not plan on give her anymore money for these duties. They said that when her review comes up in a October, they will consider her for a salary increase, although very minute if any. If she declines the additional job duties, due to the fact that they won't be paying her, is there grounds for dismissal?

Thank You.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my opinion (which does not count for much at times)- I feel that the "higher" ups should consider a pay increase. I actually have 3 positions which I feel I should get higher rates for part- I do Accts Payable, Payroll and HR- and ONLY get one wage. I did, at one time, actually ask for a raise and I put in all of my duties/responsibilities and I did get a increase- which did help. I would hope that they would not dismiss her if she declines. Is it possible for you to ask for the increase for her- or for her to actually ask before she takes it on???
  • thanks for the advice-unfortunately I do not work in the same company so I can't say anything to help her out. Also, she has asked for more money and they told her that, if she were going to get one it would be with her review in October. I feel that her review is a separate entity all together.

Does anyone know if she does decline and they fire her, does she have any type of claim to be filed against the company?
  • It's perfectly legal to overwork and underpay employees, as long as she's not being treated differently from other employees because of her sex, race, etc. And as long as she makes minimum wage, if nonexempt.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • The employee in question should search for another job NOW - it is not going to get better. Believe me.

With a prior employer, I went without a raise for three years - then they gave me the work of three additional positions, and THEN I was told that I would have to wait still another year for a raise. And THEN I was transferred to another office , with a new tough 2 1/2 hour commute each way . Four months later ( after the Northridge earthquake ), I found another job closer to home with a higher salary. When I gave my notice, they begged me to stay .No way,and I left after finding my own replacement .I only wish I knew then what I know now through HR Hero!