HR Requested to Sit in On Evaluation??

One of our supervisors (who supervises two employees) has asked me if I would sit in on one of his staff's evaluations as he is afraid she might "pull something". He did not request the same when he evaluated his other employee. In my opinion, I feel if I (or anyone else for that matter) sits in on this evaulation it gives this employee the exact ammunition she may be looking for saying that she was treated differently that the other employee. Am I correct? This supervisor is really pushing me to sit in on this evaluation. (I do not sit in on any other evaluations in the company.)

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have you asked the supervisor why he/she feels this employee might "pull something?" I agree that sitting in on this employee's evaluation, and not sitting in with the other, might be perceived as being treated differently. You should find out why he/she feels it is necessary for you to be present. Depending on what you find out, I may have a different response to your question.
  • This particular employee seems to believe that the supervisor is prejudiced when it comes to her. She does not feel he treats her fairly. (She is minority). The supervisor feels she may make false accusations regarding what transpired in the evaluation session.
  • You should not sit in on the interview. If the supervisor wants a witness then the supervisors boss could participate. Part of our role is to listen to the concerns and to be trusted by employees, and management of course. In order for us to do that correctly we must be perceived as objective by both sides. If you sit in you will be viewed, by the employee, as taking sides and the employee will not come to see you at a later date regarding the review or other matters. Having said "never" I did sit in on an evaluation a few months ago. It was at the request of the employee. Before doing that I told the employee that I would not take any sides during the process - I was just there to observe, and only under the condition that the supervisor would not object. She didn't and I think that my presence helped smooth the relationship a bit. I can't think of a reason why I would sit in on one at a supervisors request.
  • I'm not only concerned about the point that you raise, but am concerned about giving this employee ammunition to file charges that she has been treated differently. As stated above, she is in a minority class.
  • I agree with the others that recommend another supervisor sit in on the meeting. One additional thing you might want to consider is to try some practice with the supervisor. For example, you could script out the things he thinks the employee "might try to pull" and review how he should handle each scenario. (The key is that the supervisor has to remain in control and not become emotional, no matter what the employee does).

I have even been involved in situations where the supervisor used a written script to help guide him along and keep him on his message. It may seem a bit unnatural, but there can never be any dispute about what was said.

Good Luck!
  • No one sees an issue then with having another person in the room during the evaluation even though no other employee has had another person from management sit in? I feel she will see this as disparate treatment.
  • Yes, it may be a problem but I don't see it as a major one, and less of a problem than what might happen if you don't have someone there. Hopefully, you have some documentation of the issues which make you want to have the witness. If it ever becomes an issue, you say "we wanted a witness because ...... and that has nothing to do with race."
  • At my company we make it part of the evaluation process that HR can be requested to sit in on any evaluation meeting. I have done so and it was found to be very helpful. I serve as a neutral party and am careful not to "take sides" but do offer observations/restatements/interpretations when it facilitates understanding between the parties. It has worked very well for us for both the supervisor and the employee. What makes it particularly nonthreatening is that we tell the parties upfront that HR will be neutral and is there as a help -- and then we do that.
  • I would ask the employee is she would like me to sit in on the evaluation. I would not say that the manager had asked me to. I would simply say, “I understand there has been a little tension in the past. Would you feel more comfortable if I sat in as a neutral party.” I would also make sure the manager did not expect me to take sides.
  • I have attended performance evaluations upon requestby supervisors. I have not hesitated to attend. I observe and only offer comment to clarify or explain a policy.

It usually tends to mellow out what could be a confrontational discussion.