Evaluations

We are putting an employee evaulation process into place. I beleive I read somewhere that it is important to provide a section for input from the employee as well as a section for the supervisor to provide goals for the coming year. Is this covered by some regulation or merely a recommenation and do any of you have evaulation forms you could share?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We currently have a process in place where the employee and the direct supervisor fill out an identical performance evaluation. We ask both parties to provide comments under each category. In addition, we have each department supervisor prepare a questionairre geared toward upcoming projects, training opportunities and goals of the department. We distribute and ask the employees to complete one week prior to the evaluation. All copies are then attached and placed in the employee's file. We have found the self evaluations to be an excellent tool.
  • I really believe in self evaluation to promote a dialogue between the employee and the supervisor. However, I'm not as big a fan of having the employee use the same form that the supervisor does. Many employees believe that if their self evaluation does not look like the supervisors, they have gotten the assignment "wrong." They spend more time trying to anticipate what their manager will write rather than honestly evaluating their performance. I also think that the easier the form is, the more likely the employee is to fill it out because it doesn't look as intimidating as the evaluation form. I have a simple 10 question Self Apprasal that I will be glad to send you if you will e-mail me.

The best use of a Self Ealuation is to get the employee to fill it out before the supervisor fills out the performance review. The supervisor should tell the employee that he/she is going to start writing the emplyee's review in five days and wants the employee to have imput into the review. Then request that the employee fill out the Self Appraisal and give it to the supervisor prior the the supervisor doing the review. Employees will remember accomplishments and educational opportunitioes many times that supervisors forget. They are also excellent at setting goals for themselves. Every time the supervisor uses something from the employee's Self Appraisal in the performance review, it reinforces the fact that the employee got a chance to participate in the review. It also tells the supervisor where the employee's head is with regard to the employee's performance before they meet to discuss the review. This gives the supervisor plenty of time to prepare for what to say without encountering the surprise in the review where the employee believes his/her performance is superior and the supervisor views it as satisfactory. Hope that helps.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • What is the industry standard for weights of raters of any evaluation? For example, if you use manager ratings and employee self ratings on an employee's evaluation, do you weight it at 60%/40% or 70%/30% or 75%/25%?
  • We are in the hospitality industry, and I am more than happy to e-mail our performance review to you if you would like to provide your e-mail address.

• Yes, Diana, I would be interested in seeing your evals.

[email]hr@scheart.com[/email]

Thanks.
  • Just tried to e-mail you, and it stated undeliverable. Is there another e-mail address I might be able to try

• All performance evaluations should have a section in which the employee and supervisor can comment. Positive comments made by the supervisor can be placed in this section. It is also a good idea to include an area for supervisor to list recommendations for improvement in performance.

I currently use KnowledgePoint "Performance Now" tool. This is a wonderful employee review writer that is easy to use; you just point and click a rating and meaningful review text automatically appears based on your input.

Other functions include: setting, tracking and measuring goals, automatic alert for upcoming reviews, tracks employee performance log year round, review form templates or design your own template, etc. Relatively inexpensive too! Just $150.00 two years ago. I'm not sure what it sells for now.

For more details see their website at [url]http://www.knowledgepoint.com[/url].