What are you reading (Part II)

After seeing the response to the "what's on your nightstand" question, I wanted to ask a similar question. I recently graduated from college with an HR degree and have just started in the HR field. I am THE human resources department where I work and need all the direction I can get. Does anyone recommend any specific business law books? I would like one that can tell me state laws also. So - I guess the question is - what are you reading at work?

Aaron

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-21-02 AT 10:52AM (CST)[/font][p]Aaron H,

Definitely check out the state-specific Employment Law Letters available through HRhero.com. They are monthly employment law updates written by attorneys in your state, so you get information about federal laws and how those laws interact with your state's laws.

More info here: [url]http://www.hrhero.com/empnl.shtml[/url]

If you want to bump up to a more robust service, you can become an Employment Law Center member in your state, which gives you the above state-specific Employment Law Letter, state-specific Workplace Memos to share with your supervisors and executives, bi-monthly special reports on hot employment law topics, and access to the HRhero.com Members Only Resources, a searchable database of employment law articles, forms, policies, and statutes and regulations.

More info here: [url]http://www.hrhero.com/benefits.shtml[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]

P.S. Check out the left (blue) menu for lots of HR resources. Under "Ways We Can Help," the Employment Law link has a long list of especially good stuff.
  • Hi Aaron

I too am new as an hr manager in my company. I was an hr assistant for 4 years prior to being promoted to hr manager a year ago, when my boss retired after 21 years of service, and I too am the whole hr AND safety department here! Never a dull moment here...and never a free moment either! Anyway, what has helped me tremendously as far as reading resources is actually attending seminars every year, and using the written resources that are given out, and of course...and this goes without saying, that being a subscriber to HRHero has been a HUGE help.

I went to many different seminars held here in Florida over the last five years, but I personally thought that THE very best ones were put on by Council in Education in Management. They offer seminars such as Personnel Law Update annually, as well as Workers Compensation seminars and many others nation wide. They have teams of attorneys and hr professionals in each state that speak at their seminars, so each seminar is state specific as well. Their manuals are an invaluable resource, and the actual presentations are just excellent, and I always leave with a whole lot of practical knowledge that I can apply at work immediately. Their website is [url]www.counciloned.com[/url] We also are members of the FL Chamber of Commerce, so every year we purchase their Law Manual called Florida Employment Law Manual Survival Guide, and their Employment Discrimination Guide, full of excellent information on every conceivable hr-related topic. I'm assuming your state would also have something like that available.

Finally, I attend at least every two years a three day seminar put on by the A.E. Roberts Company, [url]www.aeroberts.com[/url], entitled cobra, fmla, section 125 cafeteria plans and hipaa privacy, and the three books I bring back, I use constantly, and their speakers are absolute experts on these complicated topics. So again, to actually be able to listen to all their information and receive the books, really helps to apply to your work right away.

For safety resources I belong to our local safety council and they meet all our needs in terms of osha compliance as well as mandatory employee training.

The eeoc also puts on an annual seminar where they give out a ton of resources to be able to use at work (5 books), and their speakers are eeoc employees, as well as different attorneys who represent both employers and employees, as well as employers, so we get a really well-rounded seminar with many different points of view which are applicable and very helpful to all employers. All these resources have been invaluable to me personally, and I highly recommend them, especially to a new and/or solo hr person.

Hope this info will be of help to you.
  • Well, what's on my nightstand isn't specific to HR but so far it's a good read for folks like me who enjoy history. It's "Jefferson Davis, American" by William Cooper. A Civil War buff, I've always had this curiosity about Davis. Here's a man who wasn't stupid by any means. He was a West Point grad, businessman (owned a plantation he carved out of the wilderness) and a US senator (Mississippi) who became the president of the Confederacy. He had to have know the South couldn't win the war, yet he took the job anyway. An interesting twist is that Davis, who was a slave owner, resigned his senate seat at the beginning of the war. It was subsequently filled by an ex-slave during reconstruction. The book gets bogged down in a lot of details but it sheds light on a significant figure of the 19th century.
  • I have a copy of The Complete Guide to Human Resources and the Law by Dana Shilling that stays on my desk. Prentice Hall also puts out an annual supplement to this book that's full of good information.

Good luck in your new role!
  • A great deal depends on the state where you work. State laws are all different. As far as Federal laws, the Thompson Publishing Group has specific books on FLSA, fringe benefits, attendance, health care and many others. (1725 K Street, N.W., 7th floor, Washington D.C. 2006) On employment law, the ABA, BNA group is pretty hard to beat. You can read up on general labor law, grievances, arbitrations, and so forth. (1250 23rd St., NW, Washington, DC) You will generally find that helpful books are published by the bar association in your state. Finally, find some good seminars in areas where you need help. Good luck.
  • first,welcome to the world of employment law and hr...I think you'll find coming the hrhero.com to be of use and interest...second,while developing technical skill is your first goal at this stage of your career,I would suggest that you also read business books and books on marketing yourself...when yhou do the first,you will become more of a business partner to operations and more appreciated...a good start on the first is getting a subscription to the harvard business review---it is easy to read and full of ideas...on the second,try love is the killer app by tim sanders...regards,mike maslanka
  • You could try Marketing Outrageously by Jon Spoelstra - it give you great ideas about thinking "Out-of-the-Box". I'd highly recommend it to everyone who likes to push the envelope - just a bit.
  • Since you're new, you probably haven't heard my shameless plug for HR Quick List, a book I co-wrote. HR Quick List is really more of a decision-making tool than a book. Actually, it's kinda hard to explain. Just go to this link and see the sample chapters. And click on the blue boxes.
    [url]http://www.HRhero.com/hrquicklist.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Thank you to everybody for your advice and for wishing me luck. I will definitely keep checking out HR Hero and will look into the books you suggested.

Thanks again,

Aaron Hart
  • Hi Aaron:

From my almost 20 years experience, I can tell you that there is no better teacher than experience! But...in the meantime, I would suggest that you take as many HR specific seminars as you possibly can, especially in the areas of federal law FMLA, ADA, Benefits Law, etc. I can vouch for the fact that the A.E. Roberts 3 day seminars are terrific. They are pricey, but absolutely worth the money.

Also, as many state specific seminars that you can attend would certainly help you keep in compliance with your state laws. Here in South Carolina, we have multiple offers every year of laws that are pertinent to our state. I am sure that other states offer the same type items.

Finally, join national SHRM (National Society for Human Resource Management). There are also usually local chapters which I would highly recommend also for you to join as a networking tool with other HR professionals. SHRM has a great website (SHRM.org) and a wealth of information. They also have a monthly magazine with good articles.

Stay current in your field and also have a good legal consultant you can call upon to bounce things off if you are unsure of "straying into forbidden territory".

Good luck to you!
  • 1)Any SHRM publication,join a local chapter - great for networking.
    2)HR Hero - what did I do before I joined?
    3)BLR has a good program "What to do about Personnel Problems" (state specific)
    4)Personnel Law Update seminars for your state are priceless.
    5)"Seven Secrets of Managers Who Avoid Employee Lawsuits" by Stephen D. Bruce, Ph.D., great for helping you train your company's managers, and pick up good reminders for yourself.
    6) "Human Resource Management" Gesource Guide by Robert L. mathis and John H. Jackson
    7)Talk with your staff, managers and line level. You can learn more from them than any book.
    8) Find a mentor.

Good Luck!!!
  • Consider joining your local Association of Legal Administrators (ALA)who
    offer many educational opportunities and provide mentoring for new
    administrators.
  • These are all good suggestions.The only thing i would add is this---hr is becoming seen more and more as a key player in running the business and ceos, cfos etc. will look to you in decision making,even when it deals with non-hr matters.It is important to read not only about technical stuff but business overall.A great book is the "Tipping Point" on how small things make a big difference,and Getting It Right the First Time is a great book on how to frame issues.Also,hr will be looked to as the one when hard ethical issues arise,and this will be an expanding area of hr duties.Finally,if any of you ever get to see Margaret Monford's talk on Running with the Big Dogs,go to it---it deals with how hr can become a player in the company.Regards from the lone star state,Mike Maslanka
  • Since Margaret's talk on making HR a player has been so popular, we've recently produced a video for her on the topic called "Running with the Big Dogs." You can purchase it for $47 (+$6 s/h) by calling Customer Service at 800/274-6774.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]