HELP! My employee disappeared!

We have an employee who left for lunch and didn't come back. We worried she'd been involved in an accident, but police inquiries turned up negative. As we worried, we noticed her company keys were left behind and her personal items were gone. It soon became clear that she was not coming back. She's a new hire - only on the job 3 months. We've done the usual audits and all appears in order. Is there anything I need to do? She doesn't have insurance so COBRA should not be required. Do I need to do anything - other than not let her back in? Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would stop and take this slowly. First, I think that you have handled everything appropriately. However, have you called the employee at home? What has been your past practices where job abandonment is concerned? Stick to those. If you normally send out a later in 2 or 3 days, then send one. Just because the policy didn't have any evidence of an accident, doesn't mean that something hasn't happened.
  • I agree with Kyra. Give it a few days. Call her at home, send her a letter telling her if you don't hear from her by a certain date, employment will be terminated (job abandonment).
  • Did she have a next of kin identified in her personnel paperwork? Did she indicate anything to her coworkers that she was unhappy?

I agree with the other posts. Call her or her next of kin, send off a certified letter with return receipt requested (that way you can see who signed for it) and cut your losses. Hopefully the worst didn't happen and she simply flaked out and abandoned her job. Let us know what happens!
  • Even though she turned in her keys you may want to remove her from any access codes into the building (if applicable). Also, you will need to put a temporary greeting of some sort onto her phone and email so that calls can be forwarded without getting lost in oblivion. Good Luck!
  • The only other advice I would add to the others is to make sure when you send the letter that you indicate by virture of the fact that she has not returned to work that she has abandoned her job and you are accepting her resignation. This way you are making it clear that she is the moving party and not you. That way you should not be hit later with her claiming she was discharged and applying for unemployment.
  • Thanks for all your help. Here's the latest. She left a message on the company voice mail apologizing for not returning to work and indicating she would not be in the next day. We contacted our Attorney because we had a policy that stated after 3 days of abandoning a job, it would considered voluntary termination. Our attorney advised us to let this thing alone - let the 3 days run; don't contact the employee because the clock begins to tick at the last contact. Two days following the departure, we received a letter of resignation. BUT, the letter is typed and not signed, although the envelope is handwritten and it is her handwriting. I think I'll take your advise, however, and send a letter out stating that we have accepted her resignation which is twofold - abandoning the job for 3 days and the letter. Again, that you all very much for the help. Skippy