"Small Necessities" Leave Law...

Hi, All... I've been getting ads for firms selling programs, books,
videos, software, etc. that will '... assist our company in handling
compliance with the new federal Small Necessities Laws...'
I tried to search on BLR and other HR & Labor sites, with no luck or
found info... I have never heard of this apparently new program -
not on the news, mags, papers online...Seems like a BIGGER version of
FMLA, allowing protected time off for Child's school or Dr's appointments.

Info, Anyone????

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's no such federal law. Some states have laws like this, though. Have any of your employees asked for this leave?

If you're worried, you could check with your state's department of labor. If you're a member of our Employment Law Center in your state, you can search your state's law in the members' area of HRhero.com. Or talk to a lawyer in your state.
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/findanattorney.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • James,
    After a bit more www-digging, I did indeed discover it was a state mandate,
    from Mass, I believe. We're a Maryland business, so it does not
    apply to us. Thanks for the reply...
    Lori
  • Hi, yes it is a MA law. This law provides the employees up to 24 hrs to take their children to school activities (I.e. teacher meetings, school orientations), doctor appointments, and or an elderly family member who needs assistance to research nursing homes, appointments... Anyone want to move to MA????

Denise
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-01 AT 06:59AM (CST)[/font][p]Is this 24 hours of "paid time off", or 24 hours unpaid as with FMLA? I find a lot of people don't see it as a benefit unless it is paid time off. Besides, with FMLA we apply any PTO balance. Guess it all depends on the situation. If someone has to take up to 24 hours unpaid, it will not be reflected as poor attendance.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-01 AT 09:16PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-01 AT 09:02 PM (CST)[/font]

>Hi, yes it is a MA law. This law provides the employees up to 24 hrs
    >to take their children to school activities (I.e. teacher meetings,
    >school orientations), doctor appointments, and or an elderly family
    >member who needs assistance to research nursing homes, appointments...
    >Anyone want to move to MA????
    >
    >Denise

Hi,

It sure is a MA state law!! It gives employees 24 unpaid hours per year for the above mentioned reasons. The 24 hours, like FMLA, can be taken in hourly increments, however, to make tracking time off for SNLA easier, I request employees take SNLA leave in 2 hour increments. This runs down thier 24 alloted hours a little faster. The employee can elect to use accrued vacation, personal, or sick time hours for SNLA leave however I find this is rarely asked for and our union contract doesn't allow the company to require an employee use their PTO.

The eligibilty for SNLA is the same as FMLA (1 year and 1250 hours) and is in ADDITION to the 12 weeks of FMLA. What I like about SNLA is the section that says employees can take time off for ROUTINE appointments for their children and/or elderly relatives. The keywords in this section are: ROUTINE, CHILDREN, and ELDERLY RELATIVE. I understand this to mean that SNLA cannot be used for the employee's and/or spouse's appointments, nor can it be used because their child is suddenly ill and needs to see a doctor (though this could turn into FMLA leave).

However, unlike FMLA, it defines an elderly relative (at least 60 years old ) as one who is related by blood or marriage and not just parents. So, if the employee's or his/her spouse's elderly 3rd cousin has a doctor's appointment, then the employee can take the time off to take him/her.

I require (as allowed by the act) 7 days notice when the time off is forseeable and require documentation for all time off. I realize it's only 24 hours per year but I've found that requiring proof of an appointment, teacher meeting, etc., hinders employees from taking time off for other reasons than allowed by the law (like an afternoon at the beach...LOL...I didn't say that).

Kathie
  • California has two regulations in this area. The first is the the "school time off" one which provides up to 40 hours per year (unpaid) to attend school events. The other is a sick leave regulation that provides that any employer who had an "employee only" sick leave policy must modify it so that half of the allotted time can be used for family members.