Alcohol at Company Party

We are planing a Christmas Party for all employees and spouses and intend on serving alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, champagne). Because of the liability issue, what should the drink limit be? Is there a standard out there to go by? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wrote an article which covers this in part in the November 1998 issue of the
    Tennessee Employment Law Letter ("Avoiding holiday liability"). If you need a
    copy, I'll be glad to fax it to you if you'll send me your fax number.

John Phillips
    Editor, [link:www.hrhero.com/tnemp.shtml|Tennessee Employment Law Letter]
    [email]jphillips@millermartin.com[/email]
  • We used to give each employee two drink tickets. We told them the company would like to buy everyone's first drink. After that, it was cash bar and the hotel determined who could be served as they do in any of the bars in the hotel. We never had any trouble with this policy. Having to pay for the second and third drink slows people's alcohol consumption. Be sure that the food is wonderful and plentiful to soak up the alcohol people consume and the employees do not think you are scrimping on the occasion.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • We've had the best luck in having our parties at a bar / restaurant. We used to give two drink tickets, and unlimited soft beverages. But then, we found the non-drinkers were giving - or SELLING - their un-used tix to the drinkers! Geeez! This time we went to a hand stamp plan - two stamps means each person has had their two free drinks... the bartenders liked this plan, too! No tickets to keep track of, or accusing patrons of lying about their 3rd or 4th or 5th "Free" drink... And because it's held at a public facility, my employees understand that the bartenders have the right to not serve or stop serving - if they have any questions about impending liability. Good luck on your event! Have A glasss of Champagne for me, too!
    Lori in Baltimore
  • We once had the same problem with non-drinkers selling their tickets. Thereafter we left it up to the bartenders to determine who not to sell to. And, as Margaret suggested and we used to say back in my old neighborhood, make sure they have "plenty of grease" (food) to soak up the alcohol.
  • We don't have a problem with non-drinkers selling their tickets - we just don't hire any non-drinkers! LOL!