UNIFORMS

We currently have employees sign a form that tells them upon termination we will deduct from their final paycheck cost of uniforms if all are not turned in. Are we ok doing that or are we violating Nevada law? I have not been able to locate any NRS that address this

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can't speak to Nevada law, but we basically do the same thing (I'm in Missouri). Each new hire signs an acknowledgment giving us permission to do so. Of course, you have to make sure your deductions do not take the employee's wages below minimum.
  • I'm in Nebraska and trying to put together some type of policy regarding uniforms. I would like to have the employee sign something upon hire (upon receiving their uniforms) and state that we will charge x$'s if the uniform is not returned at termination. I've checked with the US Dept. of Labor and they said just as you indicated - it's ok as long as they don't fall below min. wage. Would you be willing to share a copy of your policy with me? How many uniforms do you issue to a new person? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • I am in Massachusetts and would also appreciate seeing what you use for a uniform policy. We currently issue uniforms upon request and it is not unusual for us to take a hit when an employee terminates and does not return the uniforms or when the uniforms are lost.

Thank you.
  • I don't know about Nevada law, either. The laws I've seen in other states focus on UNAUTHORIZED deductions from paychecks, so it's good that your employees sign an authorization. But you really might want to run it by a Nevada lawyer. If you don't have one, you can look here:
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/findanattorney.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • I have a Uniform/Equipment Agreement that we use that I will be happy to fax to anyone who is interested - just supply me with your fax #.

• Our fax number is 508-998-5638.

Thank you.
  • I'd like a copy of the policy. The fax number is 701-523-4139. Thanks.
  • Not in California. This type of deduction would be unauthorized, even if someone signed an agreement. The State views this as glomming onto an employees wages - a no no. The fact that an employee may be glomming onto a uniform is irrelevant.
  • Here in Calif, it got so bad with employees terminating and not returning the uniforms , which was quite a hit when the bill came - try $400 per employee set of clothing of 10 shirts and 10 pants.I would send letters asking the ex-employees to voluntarily return the clothing...none were ever returned.Finally,we just cancelled uniforms altogether. Employees in the shop now use their own clothing, which admittedly gets quite messy from our manufacturing process.
  • I am in California and agree with the above. Even if you have an employee sign a waiver when uniforms are issued, you cannot deduct that amount from their final check. You must get the employee to sign another form authorizing the deduction from their final check at the point of termination. However, you also have to give the employee a "reasonable" amount of time in which to return the uniforms. Since in California you have to have the final check ready on their last day (or within 72 hours if they leave without notice) you can't give "reasonable" notice so in fact you are stuck and can't deduct. What we ended up doing is taking away the uniforms and giving employees a clothing allowance instead of $125.00. It is granted at the beginning of the year so they can purchase whatever clothes they want for work (jeans, coveralls, etc.)