Requirements for Notifying an Employer

During our annual flu shot one of the partners in our Company walked into the room and overheard a nurse asking me a bunch of questions about my pregnancy.  I asked the partner later to not please no say anything since my pregnancy was so new and at that point had not even been confirmed.  A week later she came into my offcie and asked me when I planned on telling everyone siting that her knowing and not telling anyone posed some liability to the Company if anything happened to me.  I can't imagine this is true as my medical information is none of their business, but the bottom line is I feel pressured to tell my Company that I am preganant and I am not even through my first trimester.  Please let me know what responsibility I have as well as whether or not I can tell her that she has no liability and I will inform the remaining partners when I feel comfortable.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whether you tell anybody or not, the Company is on notice that you are pregnant because one of the partners has actual knowledge of your condition.

Based on what you have said so far, I don't think you have any duty to say anything to the Company.  However, if prenatal care or safety matters arise, then you should tell your employer.

If you are concerned about discrimination, you should talk to HR.  You should also talk to HR to let them know that employees cannot speak in confidence with the medical staff.  That's a problem they need to address.