Re-hire paperwork

We lay-off employees a lot due to business needs (construction industry), as a result I moving their personnel file to our term drawer and back up frequently. We currently have employees complete all new hire paperwork and submit to drug testing each time. Is there a time frame where we wouldn't need them to complete all forms. Their files are getting pretty thick and it seems unnecessary. Any suggestions?

Also do can you file unemployment determinations in their active record or should that go in a confidential folder? I am getting conflicting answers when I search HR sites online.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Each bit of EE file is subject to records retention requirements.

If you are doing permanent layoffs, they employee is fully severed from the job and you need to do all the paperwork over.  Technically, you can re-verify I-9s, but that's more trouble than its worth IMO.  New I-9s each time, too.

If the layoffs are temporary, you may be able to avoid a lot of work.  Unfortunately, I don't really know much about temporary layoffs, but someone will probably chime in on this soon.

In terms of document destruction, it depends a lot on what sort of documents you have, based on the type of industry you are in.  Before Lilly Ledbetter, most docs from an EE file could be shredded in 5 years.  Now, I'm not sure that you would want to shred performance evaluations and documented disciplinary action until some period well after termination.  Mabe somebody who has been to a document retention update lately can help us out.