Non Exempt and LMS Training...

We just invested into a Learning Management Platform System which will be assessable to employees to take pre-recorded courses 24 hours a day - 7 days a week. My concern and the question that comes to mind now is...how do we handle this from an FLSA standpoint if hourly employees decide to take courses in the system when they are (off their shifts) on their own time? I can see my managers in the organization going bonkers if they have to pay employees if they use the new system for classes outside of their schedules. Oh my....I need help with this one. Thanks, PB

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Pat!  I don't see that anyone responded to your question to date.  I would be interested in talking with you about the LMS you selected and what criteria you used in doing this.  I'm looking to engage a system this year and going through the various presentations now.  I can be reached at 703-436-1343--Ask for JoeP  Thanks!
  • Hi JoeP...it took me weeks to find the LMS we decided on...I'll share it with you when I call. I'm in training this week...and today too. So I'll touch base with you next week if that's OK with you.

Have a wonderful weekend and take care,

Pat

• [quote user="PatBowie"]

We just invested into a Learning Management Platform System which will be assessable to employees to take pre-recorded courses 24 hours a day - 7 days a week. My concern and the question that comes to mind now is...how do we handle this from an FLSA standpoint if hourly employees decide to take courses in the system when they are (off their shifts) on their own time? I can see my managers in the organization going bonkers if they have to pay employees if they use the new system for classes outside of their schedules. Oh my....I need help with this one. Thanks, PB

[/quote]

Are you asking for help with the question whether or not non-exempt employees should be paid for voluntarily engaging in training out of scheduled work time or are you asking for help with the question of how to manage use of the system to prevent off-hours use?