Biggest Interview Mistake - Not Doing Your Research on the Company you are Interviewing with!

My first question is ALWAYS.. "What do you know about our company?" It never fails to surprise me just how many people haven't done their homework and educated themselves on what we do and why people would want to do business with us. 

I find their lack of effort to learn about our company is a key indicator in how they approach problem solving.

Our company has even made it easy for potential candidates by creating a video which educates them on our value proposition before they apply: http://www.ultiexperience.com/fun!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think a lot of hiring mistakes are made by pretending that people should have to do more than demonstrate that they want to work for your company and will do a good job.  I'm actually all about intense selection, to a point, but the world is full of rules of thumb that don't really seem to help us pick out better employees from the recruitment pool.

"A key indicator of problem solving" would be a problem solving test, not a company trivia test.  Because such trivia tests are now so common, you would think people should know better and go through the game of reading the website first.  Even so, many people don't know the game.  That's another reason to be suspicious of its predictive merits.

PS: your HR software advertisement would be more effective if you were an established participant here with more than one post.