bringing children to work

Now that school is out we are having some employees bringing in their children to work.  They are not asking if it is okay they are just showing up with them and putting them at an empty desk or conference room.   When questioned they state child care did not work out for the day.    Does anyone have a policy in their handbook regarding bringing children to work?  We have never had this problem before this year. 

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The employees don't want to use a PTO or vacation day just because childcare fell through.

Maybe you can look at your telecommuting policy and make it more lenient to address such occassions.

We've had similar situations, but the children are always well behaved and just read or color. Also, they don't stay the entire day; just while their parent picks up work, attends an important meeting, etc.

• I have a client who has an issue with her employees bringing their children into work. Whether they are well-behaved or not, it can cause safety concerns, and now you are becoming responsible for them as well while they are on company property. I helped her develop a children at work policy and here is the rough draft version. Not sure if the red font will show up when I post this, but the red writing was optional depending on if they wanted to be a clause about "in the rare instance.'' They opted to remove the red, FYI.

[Company name] does not permit the presence of children in the workplace in lieu of child care arrangements. The presence of children, visitors, or family members during work hours, except for an occasional basis for a brief visit, is to be avoided. Employees with dependent children are expected to make regular arrangements for proper care of their children while at work.  Parents may use vacation time when childcare issues arise. 

As a rule, it is inappropriate for children to be in the workplace on a regular or sporadic basis, such as after school each day, on holidays when day care is not available, or when children are ill. In the rare instance when there are no other alternatives, and an employee must bring a child to the workplace, advance approval should be obtained from the supervisor and the duration of the child's visit to the workplace should be kept to a minimum. It is essential that parents provide close constant supervision of their children while they are in the workplace. Children who are ill should never be brought to the workplace.

In the unavoidable circumstance when a child must be in the workplace, under no circumstances may the child have access to any confidential information, including but not limited to patient information, student educational information, or proprietary information. This prohibition cannot be waived by the department manager or supervisor.

Any employee that brings their child into the workplace without approval of their supervisor will be requested to leave and use available vacation, personal leave or leave without pay. Individuals that fail to cooperate shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action.

• [quote user="782264"]

Now that school is out we are having some employees bringing in their children to work.  They are not asking if it is okay they are just showing up with them and putting them at an empty desk or conference room.   When questioned they state child care did not work out for the day.    Does anyone have a policy in their handbook regarding bringing children to work?  We have never had this problem before this year. 

[/quote]

I'm not a big fan of children in the workplace.  There's just too much potential for trouble.  As a parent, I'm sympathetic to the problem.  If the child is young enough, there are child care places that will take children on an ad hoc basis for a day.  In my experience, that runs between $50 and $100.  Perhaps preparing a list of alternative institutional care options could help.  No private babysitters or any other sort of unlicensed, uninsured care providers.