MBA vs. MA

Hello,

What are your thoughts on Graduate school for HR professionals? I have had my Bachelor's for a year and have been working in HR for 2 years now. Right now I am working on the Employee Relations side. Some of my co-workers are in the MBA program, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why I need to take such high level Accounting and Finance classes for my MBA instead of going with an MA in HR Development or Management. Can some more experienced HR workers give me some advice?

Many thanks,

HR347

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I hope the following is helpful:

I'm completing my Masters in HR from Keller Graduate School of Management, (traditional notonline).  I In addition, I have an MBAfrom a traditional university.  Furthermore,I have five (5) plus years as a HR Generalist. I felt adding a “true” Masters degree in HR held more weight than justan MBA with a concentration since the concentration only means “a few additionalclasses in HR.”  I truly feel you woulddo better in a Mastersin HR degree – besides, the Accountingand Finance classes are better defined.

Good luck!

• If you are going to continue in the HR field for years to come, then the MA in HR is the better way to go.  If you ultimately see yourself going into other areas outside of HR for executive level management, then your MBA is probably the better route to go.  There are some companies that don't really look at which you have, as long as you have an advanced degree and the years of experience to go along with it. 
  • Thank you so much for the suggestions. This makes future decisions much easier.