Education

How important is the school you went to if you're new to HR?  I've just been accepted to Vanderbilt University's HRD program. I'm not really sure at this point how much financial aid I'll be receiving to attend Vanderbilt. My other option is to continue working at my current position and take online HRD classes (part-time) at UT Tyler. At my current position, I have a number of responsibilities one of which includes training people within my department. In your opinion, which is the more valuable option- full-time at Vandy or online classes ? or does it matter?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My vote is always experience.  Though I do have my BBA-HR from an accredited university, it surely did not put me back financially as much as Vandy would.  However, if your current position is in the HR field and you possess limited experience, nothing replaces that and in my opinion, and would greatly benefit you in the long run when possible employers review your qualifications seeking experience.  As many on this forum will state, a degree is great but does it really matter what higher learning institution you received it from?  No, not really.  I would rather have an HRM that has years of experience under his belt with a four year degree.  Congratulations on your acceptance into the HRD program nonetheless.

• I've always gone by the motto that where you went to school often gets you your first job. After that it is more about experience.

However, I will say that I think there are "tiers" that different schools fall into.  For any online program, I would make sure it is tied to a reputuable school -- dont' know much about UT Tyler, although my thoughts would depend on whether it is tied to a "school" at the main campus (UT Austin). 

I would not leave a solid job right now to go fulltime to school if you can work on the degree PT or online or at a nearby campus.  I agree that experience is VERY important... and fulltime breaks in experience are often NOT looked on as favorably as working while getting the degree.  Because often you have to explain what caused the break.

• Ok. Thank you both for your input.