First day at Work

Hello everyone,

I have some concerns regarding some points. I have to meet with the CEO of a company and he wants me to work for his company.

1) He already told me that one of his employee gave him a reesignation letter and I need to take care of this matter. Can you please advise me on that matter, how to take care of that?

2)What is the different category of employee, how many hours they have to work and their benefits?

3 What is exactly a 1099 employee and it benefits?

4) what are the main things that I have to worry about regarding the employees when I  start working there?

5) what is the list of documents( forms, employment docs, etc....) that I have to take care when get there?

I really count on you for the answers.

Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Honestly, these are way too large of questions for a free forum to answer, but I'll try some basics:

(1) How does the company take care of terminations? Do they already have a process in place or are you expected to create one? Some companies allow people to serve out their notice, others accept it immediately and pay out the notice and others accept it immediately and don't pay out notice.  Beyond that you have other termination issues, such as stopping pay and benefits.

(2) Categories of employees -- do you mean exempt/non-exempt? That's defined by the FLSA. Full-time/part-time/temp? That's defined by the employer.  Eligibility for benefits is going to depend on specific company policy and benefit plan eligibilities-- note there could be different eligibilities for different benefits. 

(3) There is no such thing as a "1099 employee". What does exist is an "independent contractor".  Generally the company gets the benefit of not having to pay payroll taxes and the IC gets the benefit of a bit higher pay, but has to pay all payroll taxes on themselves. They are not usually covered under any benefit plans (medical/dental/401k/etc).  But beware, many companies wrongly classify people as ICs that should be employees and this is a large area of audits and fees for both state labor boards and the IRS.

(4) The better questions is what don't you have to worry about? FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ERISA, Title VII, COBRA, ARRA,state wage laws, state benefit laws, payroll taxes, benefits, possibly 401k and other pretax benefits, etc.  Not to forget, unions, discipline, personal interactions, investigations, recruiting/hiring, terminations, etc.

(5) It's going to depend on how large the company is, what is already setup and what is outsourced.

Honestly, I would suggest some more immediate training based on the level of your questions.  Make sure that you don't oversell your skill set.

• I don't generally do contract work in HR except through a temp agency or unless the contracting company agrees to bring me on as a temporary employee.  As a contractor, you can be sued much more easily than as an employee.  Do you have proper insurance in place for that?