First lost time injury - Workers' Comp

This is the first lost time injury we have had at our facility.  So our actions with this workers' comp injury will set precendent on what we do in the future.

What is common practice as far as letting Workers' Comp pay the employee or the company paying the employee?  This employee has been with us for a while so she has about 2 months of sick time.  Can I legally let her use her sick time if she wants to instead of Workers' Comp or Short-term Disability for her entire absence?  Or can I just allow her to use sick time at her request during the 7 day waiting period for both Workers' Comp and Short-term Disability?   I know that Family Medical is a must.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="edaffin"]

What is common practice as far as letting Workers' Comp pay the employee or the company paying the employee?  This employee has been with us for a while so she has about 2 months of sick time.  Can I legally let her use her sick time if she wants to instead of Workers' Comp or Short-term Disability for her entire absence?  Or can I just allow her to use sick time at her request during the 7 day waiting period for both Workers' Comp and Short-term Disability?   I know that Family Medical is a must.

[/quote]

You really do not have a choice of "letting Workers' Comp pay the employee."  If an employee is injured in the normal course and scope of their job, it is your legal responsiblity to report the injury to the appropriate state agencies.  State law will then dictate specifically how the workers' compensation lost-time wages are administered.  I suggest checking with your state W/C Board/Commission and/or your company's legal counsel on how to handle supplementing lost-time wages with any paid time off bank the employee has.