Not FML but still need to know

I have an employee who left work for a medical emergency.  Later that day her husband calls and lets me know that she was having heart issues due to stress and she will need surgery.  I asked him to keep me posted.  I don't want to keep bothering him for information with all that is going on but I need to know in order to plan.  Is it inappropriate for me to check in with him every few days to see how things are going and whether he has an update?  I don't need the details of the diagnosis but I need to know the expected return or approximate recovery period. 

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="PHS09"]I have an employee who left work for a medical emergency.  Later that day her husband calls and lets me know that she was having heart issues due to stress and she will need surgery.[/quote] 

[quote]I don't need the details of the diagnosis but I need to know the expected return or approximate recovery period. [/quote]

Actually what you have written above is more than enough to have an FMLA trigger if your company meets FMLA criteria that would cover your employees. The EE had an emergency. You have been notified what the emergency was and that surgery will be required. Plus the EE has not returned to duty. FMLA allows designating an absence as FMLA qualified if the EE has been out for a medical reason for three full work days. If the EE has been out that long and is under a doctor's care I would send out the FMLA forms and begin the FMLA process. This protects the employee and employer at the same time.

A return to duty medical clearance form along with a copy of the EE's job description should be sent with the Designation Form and the FMLA medical certification form. I would require the form to be signed before the EE is allowed to return to work.

• We are not subject to FMLA.  So we have no forms for her to fill out.  I will ask for a return to work notice when I finally get details on the recovery. 
  • You can require that they update you on a schedule about estimated time to return to work and continued intention to return to work.