CA OSHA Fire Extinguisher Regs

Our CA facility has a 3rd party checking the fire extinguishers every quarter.  We are conducting the monthly internal inspection in addition.  Does anyone know if CA OSHA requires this.  Or is there a CA OSHA more strict than OSHA 1910.157.

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not sure there is a different OSHA requirement. Most places use the National Fire Protection (NFPA) Standards as their reference bible. This would come under NFPA 10. When my Fire Marshals return from lunch I will inquire about the OSHA question.
  • Ok my FM says this. He does not know. [:(] But he did add that what you have to look at is the type of work that is being performed at the job site. OSHA and NFPA may be similarly stringent but it would be OSHA that would set forth the reason for the extinguisher type, and inspection requirements based on the inherent danger on the job site. I hope I have not confused you more than helped you.
  • [quote user="cappy"]Ok my FM says this. He does not know. [:(] But he did add that what you have to look at is the type of work that is being performed at the job site. OSHA and NFPA may be similarly stringent but it would be OSHA that would set forth the reason for the extinguisher type, and inspection requirements based on the inherent danger on the job site. I hope I have not confused you more than helped you.[/quote]

Depending on the setting, NIOSH may set the standard, OSHA adapts it as a regulation and merely enforces.

• [quote user="TXHRGuy"]

[quote user="cappy"]Ok my FM says this. He does not know. [:(] But he did add that what you have to look at is the type of work that is being performed at the job site. OSHA and NFPA may be similarly stringent but it would be OSHA that would set forth the reason for the extinguisher type, and inspection requirements based on the inherent danger on the job site. I hope I have not confused you more than helped you.[/quote]

Depending on the setting, NIOSH may set the standard, OSHA adapts it as a regulation and merely enforces.

[/quote]

Guy, you are exactly right. I tell people all of the time that OSHA's teeth is NIOSH. Must have had a brain burp.