Emergency Contact Information

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the HR field (graduated with the degree in Dec 08) and new to the forums =)

I was curious if an emergency contact form was considered confidential? There isn't a place for employee social security number (we're super small - we know who everyone is)..it is just the names and addresses of those who the employee wishes us to contact. I'm having a hard time deciding as I surf the web as to whether or not it is confidential.

There is no statement at the bottom stating that the information is confidential. My supervisor is concerned about an incident happening at a remote site and not having access to our employee files...so we would put this information on our shared network drive..and contact someone who would be able to access it from the remote site.

If it is confidential, can you point me to a place where I can show my supervisor?

Thank you for your help,

Leslie

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="austinle"]

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the HR field (graduated with the degree in Dec 08) and new to the forums =)

I was curious if an emergency contact form was considered confidential? There isn't a place for employee social security number (we're super small - we know who everyone is)..it is just the names and addresses of those who the employee wishes us to contact. I'm having a hard time deciding as I surf the web as to whether or not it is confidential.

There is no statement at the bottom stating that the information is confidential. My supervisor is concerned about an incident happening at a remote site and not having access to our employee files...so we would put this information on our shared network drive..and contact someone who would be able to access it from the remote site.

If it is confidential, can you point me to a place where I can show my supervisor?

Thank you for your help,

Leslie

[/quote]

I've never seen anybody treat the name and number of the emergency contact as so confidential that it couldn't be where administrative and managerial employees could not see it.  Address, relation to employee, etc. is not really important on a day to day basis.

• If there is concern about someone getting ahold of someone's address, etc. then could you put it in a shared folder that only the management team has access to?