reference check problem

I am an HR manager in WI.  I have a general reference check policy that I will only tell someoned yes or no that a former employee worked for us.  If someone gives a written consent then I generally give a bit more detail...for example date of hire and end date.  Position & pay rate.  I generally won't answer any of the behavior type questions.  Today I received a call for a reference check on an ex-supervisor that I wouldn't wish on anyone.  I really would like to answer the behavior questions on this one.  Will this put me at risk?  What is our company's liability if I say nothing at all??  [:O]

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have them send you a signed release first of all. I had a very similar situation several years ago. I simply asked them if they had other applicants for the position. And if so, they may want to interview those applicants. That basically told them without telling them (if that makes sense). In our situation it was a former controller who embezzeled funds. However, I normally only give name, dates and position.
  • I would immediately edit your post to remove your name so it doesn't show up on a google search and end up potentially connecting you to this person's future failure to obtain a job. Other than that, I wouldn't break my policy on the record. A whole lot can be communicated by your tone of voice. "I really can't comment" says something much different than, "I'm sorry, sir, but our policy prevents me from elaborating on any employee's history with the Company." Be aware that a company recently lost it's pyjamas in court when a former employee called in for a reference and recorded the HR rep saying the usual but then something along the lines of, "Well, off the record, ....<insert a lot of negative information>".  Don't try to be too cute because you never know when you are being recorded.
  • Thank you for the advice.  I stuck to my guns and only answered the basics.  I did get a signed release also.  This is tough but better to be safe than sorry.