Job Analysis and YOU!

Since we all come from such varied backgrounds and geographic locations, my curiousity is rising. What do you do for a job analysis of any particular position? Do you have a template and fill in the blanks? Do you use "salary finder" websites? Do you call around to similar businesses in your industry? How much time do you spend on a job analysis? Do you use Powerpoint to present your findings? Do you use sappy music (Kenny G) to lull your bosses to sleep during the presentations? Ok, ignore the last question. These are some example questions just to get us talking. What do you do with a job analysis?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I first started this job, there were no job descriptions. I created a standard template for analysis and description based on some that I had found online.  It is not quite a fill-in-the-blank, but is a good standard template for how our company operates.  I have used some of the descriptions on places like salary.com, other job posting sites, etc.  There are a couple of good job description websites out there. I have also found if you search google with "title job description", I usually can get a jump start. 

My responsibility is putting together a basic description and then handing it off to the manager/person in the position to edit.  I have never presented them in a formal setting beyond giving them to candidates when they interview.

I find that I make changes when we decide to post for a new job opening and/or an employee's job duties change.  I would say about every 2 years I would change any one description.  I do have some descriptions that I have created that have never been used.