I-9 Question

Can A military ID which contains the employee's social security number be used to satisfy section C of the I-9 form?  While it is not included on the list of acceptable documents, it does establish employment eligibility which is the purpose of section C.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since it falls in List B, I would not allow it to be used for List C.

"The
    comprehensive Lists of Acceptable Documents can be found on the next page of this Handbook and on the back of the Form I-9...  If a person does not present a document from List A, he or she must present one document from List B, which establishes identity, and one document from List C, which establishes employment eligibility....To establish employment eligibility only, a person must present a document from List C, such as a Social Security card, a U.S. birth certificate, or one of the other documents listed..." from  http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf

• I would not accept that.  If it is not listed as an acceptable document then you shouldn't take it.  If the person can't find his/her social security card, have them go to the local SS office and apply for a new one. The SS office will give them a sheet that has all their information on it, including the SS#, which you can use as an acceptable document until the actual card comes in.

The govt has really been cracking down on this so you need to make sure you are following the instructions on what is acceptable and what is not.

• [quote user="JACHR1979"]Can A military ID which contains the employee's social security number be used to satisfy section C of the I-9 form?  While it is not included on the list of acceptable documents, it does establish employment eligibility which is the purpose of section C.[/quote]

Actually, it does not establish employment eligibility, it establishes identity.  We know that because what establishes what is defined by the lists, not by common sense.  When it comes to IRCA requirements, do not stray from the lists.  However, as it happens, this isn't as common-sense as it appears at first blush.  We have foreign nationals without residency cards in our military.  It's one of the paths to citizenship but it does not render one eligible for employment outside of the armed services.