New Employee Handbook

So you've been hired by XYZ, Inc, hurray! At the orientation, you get a stack of paperwork thicker than Donald Trump's hair and then you get to spend 8 nauseating hours reading, signing your name, initialing here, and here, and here, and also here. I was curious....what has your HR Department included in the packets? I'm very interested to see what you guys have. Quick example of mine (not back from the copier which is, once again, on the fritz) contains:

1) EEO (sign and date)

2) At Will Employment Notice (sign and date)

3) Freedom From Harassment Notice (covers sexual harassment as well as other kinds of harassment...sign and date)

4) General Safety Rules (sign and date)

5) General Policies and Procedures (including -not kidding- the clause that says shoes must be worn to work and that those shoes cannot have a heel greater than 8"...sign and date)

6) Texas Voting Law Notice (sign and date) 

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am in Texas too...our stack is much larger than yours:

• New Hire paperwork:  Job Offer (if not previously sent),Application/Background check form (if not completed at interview), W-4, I-9, Direct Deposit Authorization
    • Benefits paperwork: Healthcare enrollment form, booklets, SPD, dr directory,etc.; Dental SPD, card; HIPAA and COBRA initial notices; Life Insurance/AD&D, STD/LTD SPDs, Voluntary life/AD&D enrollment/waiver form; Approximate date when the employee will become eligible for the 401k plan (1000 hours); Beneficiary form
    • PTO: time system instructions along with user name and password; amount of sick and vacation time
    • Workers Compensation notice of In-Network Provider (req'd by the state if you use an In-Network Provider --basically an HMO of WC)
    • Employee Handbook (which includes most of what is in your #1-#6)

Yes, it is alot and usually takes between 30 minutes and an hour.  But if I don't get it taken care of at that first possible chance, some of it would never happen later.

• I-9

W-4

EEO

Direct Deposit

Handbook (which includes safety, at-will, legal notices, etc.)

Revenue disclosure release (used in recruitment advertising and not mandatory)

• Hi,

I'm relatively new to HR (with no previous HR experience and/or training), and I recognize all the documents on your lists except the EEO.  Can someone please tell me what this is?

Also, we are a small but growing company and I've heard when you hit 50 employees (which we will do quite soon), it is necessary to follow a lot of laws and mandate certain kinds of trainings.  Does anyone know where I can access information about this?

Thanks!

MSR

• Marysue,

The EEO data is for either Affirmative Action planning required of federal contractors and certain other organizations or for employers in excess of 100 employees who must file an EEO-1, or both.  There are a variety of laws that begin to come into play at a variety of employment levels.  Some start with 2 employees (e.g., NLRA), others start at 100 (e.g, WARN).  There's plenty of others in between those two.  SHRM has a table listed somewhere.  BLR probably does too.

THG

1. Non Disclouse/Non Complete (sign and date)
    2. Conflict of Interest (sign and date)
    3. GMP's - specific for manufacturing environments (sign and date)
    4. IT Password change form (sign and date)
    5. Handbook Acknowledgment (sign and date)
    • I-9
    • W-4
    • Direct Deposit Form
    • Emergency Information Form
    • Non-Compete and Trade Secret Agreement Form
    • Handbook Acknowledgement Form
    • Workplace Harassment Acknowledgement Form
    • Safety Training Acknowledgement Form
    • Benefits Enrollment (or Waiver) Form