EE loss of personal property

A Sales Rep's company car was broken into and some company property (laptop) and his personal property (digital camera) were stolen.  The claim was below our deductable so we did not file an insurance claim.  Are we compelled to replace personal property stolen at our facility or out of our vehicles if the property is not required for the job activity?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would check with your insurance broker to see if the insurance would have covered it had you already met the deductible.  Do you have any proof or doubt that the camera was truly in the car? Was it filed on a police report? Why was it in his company car? Was he using it for business purposes? Was there any negligence on the part of the company?  For example, knowing there were a lot of break-ins occuring in the neighborhood but not informing the employees, etc?  Without knowing more details, I would not think that you are compelled to replace the camera. He should have had it insured.

That said, and this was not your question, but I would be VERY concerned that he left a company laptop (assuming lots of proprietary/confidential information on it) in his car.  With all the reports of data being compromised/lost/stolen, most companies have very strict policies on leaving laptops in either personal or company cars. Many allow for the immediate termination of an employee who loses possession a laptop -- whether or not his fault or not.

Here's a good start to a "laptop possession" policy: http://kaufmanrossin.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=47